1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on how to access a GCSE course as an adult.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by decj, Jul 19, 2011.

1. decj

decj New commenter

Hi,
    Strange request really - the situation is that I am an older teacher who obtained 'O' level maths in the late 70s. I have 20 years experience of teaching at KS2 and I also privately tutor children in years 5-8. I am now in a position where I am about to tutor a pupil in Year 9 and I feel that I need to update and refresh my maths knowledge at GCSE in order to be competent and confident in tutoring at this level. Trouble is, there is no opportunity to study GCSE maths at intermediate or higher level where I live and I think I would find foundation level to be too easy. Would it be possible/sensible to try to teach myself from GCSE textbooks do you think or is there some other way to improve my skills? I don't necessarily have to obtain a GCSE, just be confident at this level.
    Many thanks.

2. decj

decj New commenter

Hi,
    Strange request really - the situation is that I am an older teacher who obtained 'O' level maths in the late 70s. I have 20 years experience of teaching at KS2 and I also privately tutor children in years 5-8. I am now in a position where I am about to tutor a pupil in Year 9 and I feel that I need to update and refresh my maths knowledge at GCSE in order to be competent and confident in tutoring at this level. Trouble is, there is no opportunity to study GCSE maths at intermediate or higher level where I live and I think I would find foundation level to be too easy. Would it be possible/sensible to try to teach myself from GCSE textbooks do you think or is there some other way to improve my skills? I don't necessarily have to obtain a GCSE, just be confident at this level.
    Many thanks.

3. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hmmm - there is no intermediate level at GCSE anymore!
    Do you know the NCETM website? There are self-evaluation tools there (you will need to register on the site) as well as loads more information about teaching maths at all levels. You should probably get a text book as well, and look up resources on the exam board websites.

4. decj

decj New commenter

Ah, well that would account for why I can't find a course offering intermediate maths then!
    Thanks for the info about the website. Will try it out.