1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on hosting enhanced podcasts / quicktime

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kindling_not_vessels, Jan 14, 2012.

1. A technical question - if you're not that way inclined please forgive the intrusion.
    I'm having trouble adding some enhanced podcasts I've created for pupils (audio with a series of embedded images) to my site and would appreciate a few pointers in the right direction. Has any one else found a straight foward way to do this ?
    The files are AAC with the extension .m4a and play fine in itunes or my ipod.
    The only player I've found that will work at all is the Google video player but that crops the images.
    I'm currently trying to embed a quicktime player using jquery but it's not working and I'm not sure if it handles this file type anyway.

I've looked at the source code of other sites where it works and they use wordpress plugins that won't work on a free hosted wordpress site.
    Ideas on what to try next anyone ?

2. A technical question - if you're not that way inclined please forgive the intrusion.
    I'm having trouble adding some enhanced podcasts I've created for pupils (audio with a series of embedded images) to my site and would appreciate a few pointers in the right direction. Has any one else found a straight foward way to do this ?
    The files are AAC with the extension .m4a and play fine in itunes or my ipod.
    The only player I've found that will work at all is the Google video player but that crops the images.
    I'm currently trying to embed a quicktime player using jquery but it's not working and I'm not sure if it handles this file type anyway.

I've looked at the source code of other sites where it works and they use wordpress plugins that won't work on a free hosted wordpress site.
    Ideas on what to try next anyone ?

3. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Will jwplayer do it?

4. I had looked at this player but wrongly assumed I would have to pay the 59 euros license to see if it worked. Your prompting has made me look again and I now see there is a free option. I'll give it a go later this week and let you know.
    Thanks

5. There's a hosted option of the player and that has the same problem. I'll mess around with running from my own server space later, but I don't hold out much hope.....