1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Exam Boards for Media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by craftymiss, May 20, 2011.

1. It has been over 18months since I taught GCSE Media (and even longer since I taught A Level). I have just been told we are going to offer a 1 year Media GCSE at P16 this Sep. This will probably be to 'fill in' students timetables (so no control on the ability or range of students I will be teaching). In the past I have taught the AQA syllabus but I know since my day it has all changed. I was wondering if anyone could give me their experiences of teaching the current boards and any pros and cons. I'm really not keen to do Btech as I am concerned about my technical ability to run the course. Someone mentioned WJEC as its supposed to be a good one to go for. The other thing is there is a possibility that in Sep 2012 I may offer A Level so thought what I pick now may influence possible A Level choice.
    Any advice greatly received :eek:)

2. It has been over 18months since I taught GCSE Media (and even longer since I taught A Level). I have just been told we are going to offer a 1 year Media GCSE at P16 this Sep. This will probably be to 'fill in' students timetables (so no control on the ability or range of students I will be teaching). In the past I have taught the AQA syllabus but I know since my day it has all changed. I was wondering if anyone could give me their experiences of teaching the current boards and any pros and cons. I'm really not keen to do Btech as I am concerned about my technical ability to run the course. Someone mentioned WJEC as its supposed to be a good one to go for. The other thing is there is a possibility that in Sep 2012 I may offer A Level so thought what I pick now may influence possible A Level choice.
    Any advice greatly received :eek:)

3. Used the WJEC ever since Media started so I'm biased! These days my Centre offers it in one year. It is tough but doable - you just have to get your head around which topics you can do for both controlled assessment and for exam and then what else you need to do! There's an INSET for teachers new to the spec in London early June. It dove tails straight iinto the AS level.

4. i am swapping from aqa to wjec nect year. aqa; fiddly, laborious. wjec; not.

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I teach AQA GCSE and the new spec is quite simple to get your head around. Also, the exam is now just 1 1/2 hours. Next year the exam topic is TV Cop Drama - or something like that.
    You say you haven't taught it for 18 months? I was able to manipulate most of my resources for the new course if that helps.
    Having said all this, WJEC is very helpful for me in Film Studies and English.
    Liz