1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on doing a PGCE course

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by nathan_murphy180, Jul 30, 2019.

1. nathan_murphy180

nathan_murphy180 New commenter

Hi.
    I'm about to finish my final year on my drama degree in September then start my PGCE next September.

What is it like? I'm especially concerned about the pedagogy module. Do they make sure you know all the topics for the curriculum?

Anyone's experiences would be beneficial
    Thank you

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

The primary PGCE was an awful experience for me but it depends what university you train with. We had modules for English, maths, science, PE during university time and then we had fewer, sporadic sessions on DT, art, music, ICT, drama. We didn't actually spend that much time on campus as we had 3 placements. There was a lot of self-study. The assignments were doable in the holidays. I would recommend that you don't go into a PGCE straightaway, it's very full on and time-consuming. Work in industry for a bit to gain some life experience. Anyone who has done a pgce will tell you that it's hard, stressful and tiring. You just need to find a university that is supportive.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

PGCE courses are full-on.

But.....don't go into teaching.