1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on details about past experience on CV

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thegirlwho, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I'm on my PGCE course at the moment, so have started to write my CV, but I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to include and what to leave out.

I graduated 4 years ago and I spent 3 and a half years after graduating working in the advertising industry. During this time, I worked for 3 different advertising agencies.

I obviously need to detail this on my CV, but since I had the same role and responsibilities at all 3 places I was wondering if it made sense to just put that I had been a designer for over three years and elaborate by explaining the various companies I had worked for and the skills I've gained from my time in advertising?

Or would it be best to do it traditionally and write down each company, my time there and my specific role. My worry with doing this is it would take up a lot of space and make my CV too focussed on my old career.

I am also worried that having three job's in three years will reflect badly as it looks like I don't stick at anything. That's not the case at all - In the industry I was in it was rare for people to stay anywhere more than 18 months and in all cases I've had very good reasons for leaving (the company merging and changing direction, being headhunted and then leaving to become a teacher!)

Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welcome to the Forum!
    Why are you writing a CV?
    Surely they haven't told you to do that at your uni?
    Schools do not want CVs - the government advice is that they should have application forms and specifically NOT ask for CVs.
    Some independent schools have yet got round to noticing this advice (and YES, you can do your induction year in an indy school), but you will not need a CV for any maintained school post.
    So that's one task less for you!
    However, on an application form you are right that 3 jobs will take up a lot of space and if fully described will give too much weight to this. But you do have to list them, however, with their full dates, for Child Protection purposes. But don't go into any detail about them.
    The skills that are relevant to teaching (if not relevant, ignore them) can be briefly set out in your application letter.
    Go to the Welcome thread and open the shortlisting clickables for full information about how to write an application.
    And then go and complain to the Careers Service at Uni if they told you to write a CV for a teaching post!
    Happy New Year!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks for the quick reply Theo!

While was aware that I didn't need a CV to apply to the pools, I didn't realise that I didn't need one to apply to the schools direct! Good to know that I definitely won't need one, one less thing to do is always good. University haven't actually advised us on anything yet, I was just trying to get ahead and jump the gun a bit!

I will take your advice and list all the jobs and then expand upon the skills I've gained from them in my application letter!

Much appreciated.