1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on dealing with PE disruption, from large lively class, please.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sunpainter, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I am teaching a mixed age class of thirty six Y4/5s one day a week. I have had them for 7 full days so far. It has in it about 7 or 8 boys who have the potential to be really disruptive.The last lesson of the day (and week) is PE. THe hall has a terrible accoustic. The usual culprits have had enough of listening, and mess about. The rest of the class get very little PE, and a lot of time sitting about while i sort things out.
    This week I took paper and a pile of text books with me to the hall. Anyone sliding across the floor, or deliberately mishearing my instructions, was given a book, sent to a corner and told to copy it out. I tried to do this with as little fuss as possible and keep going with the lesson. I managed to stop the dangerous sliding this week. Is this approach apropriate? I know that they all need to do PE. But i can't think of another way to stop them finding entertainment in the bad behavior.
    But as i only see them once a week, it is a real battle to keep on top of things. And yes i do the positive thing, with points for good behaviour. One table in particular has 3 boys that cheer when they come last on the points table... I don't know what to do about this either.
    Am feeling very fed up. Have no behaviour issues with the 2 other classes i teach... I just feel i am losing it with this class, and turning into a weak inneffectual teacher.... and they can sense it.
    Any thoughts?

2. I am teaching a mixed age class of thirty six Y4/5s one day a week. I have had them for 7 full days so far. It has in it about 7 or 8 boys who have the potential to be really disruptive.The last lesson of the day (and week) is PE. THe hall has a terrible accoustic. The usual culprits have had enough of listening, and mess about. The rest of the class get very little PE, and a lot of time sitting about while i sort things out.
    This week I took paper and a pile of text books with me to the hall. Anyone sliding across the floor, or deliberately mishearing my instructions, was given a book, sent to a corner and told to copy it out. I tried to do this with as little fuss as possible and keep going with the lesson. I managed to stop the dangerous sliding this week. Is this approach apropriate? I know that they all need to do PE. But i can't think of another way to stop them finding entertainment in the bad behavior.
    But as i only see them once a week, it is a real battle to keep on top of things. And yes i do the positive thing, with points for good behaviour. One table in particular has 3 boys that cheer when they come last on the points table... I don't know what to do about this either.
    Am feeling very fed up. Have no behaviour issues with the 2 other classes i teach... I just feel i am losing it with this class, and turning into a weak inneffectual teacher.... and they can sense it.
    Any thoughts?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Did they sit quietly in the corner with the work? If so then keep with it and soon they will get the message that messing about gets them a dead boring lesson. Mine don't get work to do, they just sit in the corner, at the edge and can watch or not. They get bored brainless and so it only occurs about once a term from any of them, very seldom now.

I work on the principle that they weren't doing PE when they were with the class and messing about and nor was anyone else. If they sit out then the rest of the class get to do PE. If they learn to behave then they get to do PE. Sometimes I send them to sit out for the rest of the lesson and sometimes just for 10 mins or so.

If they were to mess about after being sent to sit out then they would have been out of the lesson entirely, off to another teacher to to SMT.

If they cheer when they come last, then ensure that they don't. Give lots of points to the others on the table who must be really peeved with the three boys as well. They may think they have no hope of winning and so coming last is actually an achievement, it beats coming in the nothingy middle anyway.

4. In PE, yes they do sit and get on with it... thanks for the reassurance. I am sure it will work eventually, and can see a small improvement.
    Sadly I am stuck with a very tight classroom and someone else's seating plan. They are on a LA table, without many other kids. I have tried with the positives and giving them points, but there is so little to praise and there is hardly anywhere I can give them points without it being blatantly obvious that i am favouring them. I do try to subtly manipulate the points tally so that all tables get to win. All the other tables have won atleast once. Now they are deliberately avoiding getting points so they can at least be the best at being bad. Sigh.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Sounds like you're doing some good work already, so don't be hard on yourself- this is their behaviour, not yours. I do agree that you need to keep it up with the copying out etc. If you're consistent, fair and predictable with this kind of thing then eventually they'll realise that they can't mess about without consequences.
    Certainly, as soon as any one of them starts to run about like mad things, show them the red card and remove them from lessons, because as mentioned above, that's not PE, that's just messing. Also, it's dangerous- if kids can't follow instructions then they can hurt themselves, so it's even more serious than in an RS lesson, for example.
    Set your stall out clearly- any student messing around in your lesson gets to stay for half an hour after the lesson in silence, staring at the wall, whatever you can arrange. And make it happen every time. Plus, call their parents and explain what's going on. If it's repetitive then get the parents in and arrange a meeting. You're not a failure for sanctioning against them, you're absolutely doing your job. Oh, and if they cheer when they get the lowest scores, I'd give them a detention too. Plus, I'd break the group up so that they don't feel like they're part of a little gang.
    That'll teach them!
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

6. Thanks.
    Have already made a list of simple rules to show before we go to the hall next time. The breaking of which will guarantee a PE lesson filled with boring work.