1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Crime Fiction - A Level

Discussion in 'English' started by Oliviae2012, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Oliviae2012

Oliviae2012 New commenter

Hello
    I am on a School Direct programme and on my second placement. I have been lucky enough to be have been given a Year 12 class to teach and to introduce the Elements of crime fiction section to them.
    Problem is I have never done this before and am really struggling to find any suitable resources or ideas to get them started. I have five lessons to fill before they begin to read Kate Atkinson.
    Can anyone give me some advice please?

Thank you

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Sherlock. TV programme and extract.
    A list of the genre markers and get them annotating texts to find them or if they are clever, a range of texts from which they have to deduce the commonality.
    Compare and contrast famous US crime fiction with UK.

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

The Oxford AQA English Literature B Student Book was helpful when we were planning for this and has plenty of practical ideas as well as some solid foundation to the genres etc. It covers all 4 of the possible genres, so useful if you go on to teach the other side of the course (comedy or tragedy) too. (There is also a similar Cambridge one.)

4. Oliviae2012

Oliviae2012 New commenter

Thank you so much for the advice, I will get onto it now!

5. Jan361

Jan361 New commenter

The AQA Elements of Crime writing section is useful.
    I am teaching Brighton Rock using this as a platform/jumping off point. Otherwise, there is not much out there at all.

6. taramaryglover86

taramaryglover86 New commenter

Hi,

I just came across your post about the Kate Atkinson novel. I know it's a little out of date but I'm struggling to find anything out there. I'd be happy to share resources to help lighten the load : )

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter