1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on choosing a job in the UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by EAPoe, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EAPoe

EAPoe New commenter

Hi all,

My husband has got a job working for the MOE but with no knowing where we will be based in the UAE until we get there I am finding it very difficult to decide on my next step choosing a job myself (English teacher). I don't know whether I'd be better working for the MOE as they put married couples in the same emirate, so I know I'd based close to my husband. Or, I don't know whether I'd be better waiting until I get there and holding out for a job in an international school (which I would much prefer!)

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to find a job once I am there, or rather how long it would take as I will only know where my husband will be based at the end of August. Do many positions start in January, for example?

If anyone has worked for the MOE, how have they found seeking employment afterwards in a reputable school?

I know this is rather specific but any general help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

EAPoe... it will be interesting following your journey on here, if you feel so inclined to keep posting...!
    The MOE schools do not have the best of reputations (not saying this to worry you), although I am sure there will be huge variations in individual schools... so I do hope your hubby gets into a good one and enjoys it.
    As for some of your questions - I think you will have to wait - if you are posted in Abu Dhabi (or to a lesser extent Dubai), then the Emirate is too big to gamble on a different school - they could be a very long way from each other.
    January jobs are few and far between, but September jobs happen (replacing people who either didn’t turn up, or left after a week as they hate it!).
    Or, if your husband is happy in his school, do supply there - supply teachers are tough to find, so you will find work! Or, English teachers can always find work as tutors - and this can be very lucrative, ive heard.
    Please do continue to post on here to let us know about the posting, the process, the accommodation, the behaviour of students in the MOE school, and the general school management and operation... many times on here people have posted saying they have a job with ADEK or the MOE, and then disappear so there is no follow up!

3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I know quite a few people here who work for ADEC/K or the MoE and I think as you've heard it can be a mixed bag. My understanding is that a lot depends on the management in your school and how you deal with some of the 'challenges', I think if you don't let them bother you it can be a decent time.

Again I don't know first hand but I believe it's possible to get a job in the same Emirate/city but the schools could still be quite far apart. I believe the policy is not to put married teachers in the same school but I'm sure I know two married couples who both work at different schools in Abu Dhabi. I believe all the schools are split by gender and I think it's a case of the wife working in the girls school and the husband in a boys school. I may have misunderstood though as I don't know either couple well, they are more friends of friends.

You probably can get some supply work, one of my former colleagues did it for a term when he was changing jobs but I have no idea how easy it would be to arrange or how regular it might be. My feeling is that you should also be able to find a job while based here, I haven't changed jobs in my time here but I know plenty of people that have changed teaching jobs pretty successfully so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

4. EAPoe

EAPoe New commenter

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. As you say, people tend to post about interviews or post questions without any follow up (making it very difficult to know what things are like there). I have decided to withdraw my application through the MOE as I am passionate about teaching and my subject so don't want to risk being placed in a poor school.

I am going to take the gamble and apply for positions once I get there, hopefully we'll be based in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I will also look into supply work as you suggest.

Thanks again

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  5. Mr_Frosty

I probably should know the rules but I don't, so I won't link directly... but I get emails from a different educational news sauce which has been advertising a lot of non-MoE jobs across a range of subjects in the last couple of months. It might be worth having a look, if only to see what's available.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

News sauce, Mr_Frosty? You had better not make it too saucy.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  7. Mr_Frosty

Quite literally a schoolboy error. It was a long day though.

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"My husband has got a job working for the MOE"

Holy ****!

Be very afraid but I don't think I'd worry. MOE schools really are as low as you can go - think about the worst class behaviour you've ever seen then times it by 100, with knobs on, every day for ever. You will hate Mondays coming round after the relief of the weekend. Your husband will be begging you to do a weekend runner to Bahrain with no intention of coming back, like most other staff after receiving their first pay cheque.

Have you never wondered why MOE schools advertise with every job agency going from infinity and beyond, 12 months of the year?

9. Mr_Frosty

Week starts Sunday. I ran into one of the MoE guys I know in the supermarket afterwork today he's been here 4 years. He tells me it's not perfect but not as bad as many make out and he only has 22 classes a week and lots of freedom.

10. EAPoe

EAPoe New commenter

My husband also has a couple of friends who works for the MOE and has joined lots of forums so knows what he is getting himself into. I am definitely going to hold out for a British school. Then if my husband does hate it that much, I will be earning money until he finds something else.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Agree Mr_Frosty - and they normally leave between 1:30 - 2pm with no work in the evenings, and have pretty good pay. Binaryhex - I suppose you have worked in a few MOE schools have you, to be so certain of your facts? I assume you haven’t just based an opinion on reading other peoples’ views on here - because that would be daft, wouldn’t it?

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  12. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

You get paid over 20k a month and teach only English, Maths and Science daily to 2 classes of children every week (in a cycle 1/2 school). No CPD to attend, no late nights, trips are organized the day before, so no ADEK approval or rigorous paperwork trail to complete like the private schools, oh, and they close the school for the day to allow Parent Teacher Conferences. Plus the accommodation is, in Abu Dhabi city, really nice. Yes behaviour is atrocious but that's the only down side I can think of. If I was of near retirement age, looking for something to boost my earnings and not really bothered about my career, I'd work for them.

To the OP, if you are a family unit, ADEK will place you in a city school, so not out in the sticks like the singletons. January jobs do appear but the probationary period is now 6 months, so you'd be looking at Spring if anyone was given the heave ho. There are always, always, every year, teachers who do a midnight flit at some point in the first term. Private schools are always looking for steady supply teachers too.

Mr_Frosty likes this.