1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on being beaten and abused as a teaching assistant.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tettron, Jul 11, 2019.

1. tettron

tettron New commenter

Hi,
    I'm personally not a teaching assistant however my spouse is and i'm looking for some support before i bloody explode and go into the school and let rip.

Weekly my spouse is coming home with bruises, scratches, bite marks and all kinds of clothing damage, its originates around 3 main children in key stage 1 and nor the school or parents of these children seem to be doing anything substantial about it.

I'm at a complete loss as to what i can do for my spouse and its killing me not being able to defend them or resolve the situation especial as its children evolved.
    She loves teaching (and i mean really loves it) and i don't want that spark for the work to leave her as i can see it slowly becoming to much!

Can anyone provide advise on what i can do to help support or perhaps resolve in school or even a helpline that i could give her for advise?

(other TA's also get beaten up by these children as well as other pupils)

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Schools haves a duty of care towards their employees.
    Does your partner belong to a Union? In her position, I’d be discussing my personal safety with them and seeking advice and support.
    If other TAs belong to the same Union , they should do the same.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I do know that this sort of thing can happen in schools today. Years ago, children with this level of need and challenging behaviour would not have been placed in mainstream, but those days are long gone.
    However, what is happening here sounds excessive, not just an occasional incident.
    Your partner must keep a detailed log of every incident - date, time, child involved, what the injury/damage was and how it occurred. Take photographs of injuries. This evidence will be needed when you talk to the Head Teacher, Governors or look for union support.

Kateray1 likes this.