1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice on being able to teach in Texas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lisawelsh, Apr 22, 2016.

  1. lisawelsh

    lisawelsh New commenter

    I have just moved to Texas and am currently trying to get a job. I have my Visa in order, permission to work and have my social security number. I have eight years of teaching experience with a Bachelors in biology, PGDE(S) in Teaching Biology and Science and a Masters of Education in Pastoral Care, Guidance and Student Support. I had been teaching IBMYP, IBDP and IGCSE for three years in Singapore before I moved here.

    At the moment, there only seems to be jobs in public schools nearby. My understanding is that I would need Texas Teaching certification (from what I've read, I do not need this for most private and charter schools but I can't find any job openings in my area). I got an interview after meeting with an assistant principal of an IB school at a job fair who was interested in my IB experience but ultimately said I need certification.

    I've been told by Texas Teachers alternative route to certification that I would have to undergo all basic training as a teacher again including content exams, lectures on behaviour management etc as well as classroom observations and/or being a classroom assistant. It seems like I would be taking ten steps backwards in my career. Is there any other way I can get certification whereby I wouldn't have to pay $4000 (and the rest) for the pleasure of going back to basic teacher training? I already paid a lot of money to get the current level of training and experience. I would rather invest upon the development of what I already have. If it's the only route I can take, I'll take it with a hard working smile on my face and will to suck it up in terms of money haha.

    Does anyone know if there are any other routes? Can you give me your experience if you have been in the same situation? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    Don't Swedish teachers get a high salary in Sweden? Why not live in Sweden?
  3. lisawelsh

    lisawelsh New commenter

    Sorry, I'm not sure if Swedish teachers get a high salary as I've never been to Sweden. I've only ever worked in the UK and Singapore. I'm not living in Sweden at the moment as my husband has a permanent job in Texas. I hope you find answers to your questions, sorry I've not been much help.
  4. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    @lisawelsh Have you looked at the Texas Education Agency website? This is the body that certifies teachers in Texas. A quick search revealed information for teachers who trained outside the US: http://tea.texas.gov/interiorpage.aspx?id=25769812533

    It looks like you'll need your credentials evaluated from an outside agency, and that may incur a cost, but it won't require additional schooling and the cost is nowhere near $4,000. You definitely have the training and experience needed. I hope that helps. Good luck!
  5. lisawelsh

    lisawelsh New commenter

    Stargirl577, thank you so much! I've only been here a couple of weeks and in that time I didn't find this site and no one at the job fair, Texas teachers.org or any other forums or people I had spoken to had mentioned it. I feel a bit silly that I hadn't come across this website myself but I'm ever so grateful for your help. Have a great weekend!
  6. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    No worries @lisawelsh, and I'm glad I could help. :)

    I know changing countries is daunting as I'm about to leave the States for the UK, and all the differences are making my head swim. I've taught in two States (FL and GA), so I know my way around State certification sites now. Although I may not know much about Texas specifically, please let me know if you have any other questions about the US education system.
  7. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    One more thing, @lisawelsh finding a science position should be relatively easy. Good luck!
  8. lisawelsh

    lisawelsh New commenter

    No, really, @stargirl577 you have no idea how happy you've just made me! If you are going to be teaching in Scotland, please do also let me know if you have any questions. I can try to help you with regards to other countries in UK as I have friends who teach all over UK. Scotland is a bit more strict compared to the rest of the UK. It has also just changed it's rules on overseas teachers (http://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration...f-scotland/qualified-outside-of-scotland.aspx). But generally, the GTC website gives a lot of great information. You will need accreditation from them in order to teach-
    Scotland: http://www.gtcs.org.uk
    England: http://www.gtce.org.uk
    Please also let me know if you have any questions!
  9. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    Thanks @lisawelsh. I've already gained QTS, so that should be a good start, and my passport is currently in the UK with my application for settlement visa. I'll be in England as my husband is working in Milton Keynes. He's English, so hoping my visa will be pretty straight forward. Now just waiting for our house to sell in Georgia, and the school year to end so I can go join him and find a teaching job. He's been in England since last July with only a couple of visits home. After being married for almost 16 years, this year has been a challenge!
  10. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    It all rather depends on where you are in Texas. Big place. If you are in Muleshoe, I am afraid you will be out of luck. Mind you, there are some compensations: you could spend four minutes a day admiring the various views (4 ) of the monument to the founding member of that metropolis in all her bootless glory. Afterwards you could stroll down and take in the imposing edifice of the Cowboy Church “where God is worshiped as intended, on horseback” (Sorry, couldn’t resist, stranded in Muleshoe one night and as a result, it holds a special place in my memory). Go check it out. If you ever want to experience a small vision of eternity, drive across the plains to Muleshoe!

    However, if you are in a major or even some minor cities there should be some options. Other than the aforementioned British Schools, I have three suggestions for an experienced teacher with a work visa, but without a teaching certificate. You do not need a teaching certificate in many states (e.g. Texas) to work in 1. Charter schools, which are similar to Free Schools, 2. Independent (private) schools, some of which are international, and 3. Substitute teaching at public schools.

    There are schools to avoid and others to actively seek out. You should check out these lists for the best independent and public schools: many of the latter are Charter schools.

    You can search by public, charter or by state on this site: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools

    Here is another list that also includes independent schools http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools

    Also, you can go to the IBO website and do a search by state.

    If you are interested in independent schools there are agencies which place teachers: e.g. Carne Sandoe (it is free to the teacher).

    You could also check out the web sites of the independent schools in your city. Many will have a job page. Good luck.

Share This Page