1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on being a good trainee teacher

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by janaru, Dec 20, 2011.

1. I started my PGCE(Science) in Sept 2010 . My first placement went very well and I felt my confidence soar. It was not the same in my second placement. I was tired, I made many silly mistakes and failed miserably. However, after my tutors from Uni and an external visited and observed me, I was fortunate enough to get a chance to work at another placement. It is more like a resit really. I would like to get everything right this time. Could you advise me on how to go about the whole thing so that I do a good job and realise my childhood dream of qualifying as teacher.

2. I started my PGCE(Science) in Sept 2010 . My first placement went very well and I felt my confidence soar. It was not the same in my second placement. I was tired, I made many silly mistakes and failed miserably. However, after my tutors from Uni and an external visited and observed me, I was fortunate enough to get a chance to work at another placement. It is more like a resit really. I would like to get everything right this time. Could you advise me on how to go about the whole thing so that I do a good job and realise my childhood dream of qualifying as teacher.

3. The best piece of advice I can giove is to concentrate on children's learning as you teach. Often when trainees concentrate on their teaching they forget children's learning and the lesson is more about the teacher than the children. Plan around the children and plan for the children - what you do as a teacher should come as a consequence of what you want the children to know, understand or be able to do.
    Listen to the mentor, put into action their advice and don't be afraid to ask for help.
    James

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Totally agree with James. Concentrate on progress in each lesson. What do you want them to learn and how are you going to go about this. I think students often fall into the trap of worrying about the child's activity more than the learning and teaching. They often build a lesson around an activity rather than the thing you want the child to learn. Listen to the class teacher and the mentor. They aren't the enemy even if they have to say things that need to improve. They just want the best for the kids and for you. Remember PROGRESS!