1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on becoming an ESL teacher

Discussion in 'EAL' started by livreb95, Apr 20, 2020.

1. livreb95

livreb95 New commenter

Hi there!

First of all, I hope I've posted this message in the correct thread (apologies if not - I'm new).

Anway... I've recently completed the CELTA Online and am interested in training to be an ESL teacher (ideally in an FE setting).

My current queries are as follows;

1. What are the respective advantages/disadvantages of the DET/Cert Ed + QTLS and degree + PGCE pathways?

2. Which pathway is more highly regarded by employers?

3. Is there any benefit to doing an ESL-specific degree (such as the BA (Hons) TESOL and Linguistics offered by MMU) over the typically recommended Language/Linguistics/English/Education courses?

TIA to anyone who replies,

Olivia :)

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Those are really good questions. Are you based in the UK? Check out the EAL Academy, they have a graduate level course for EAL. Also, there’s an EAL Bilingual google group where you can post questions. Check out the Bell Foundation, NALDIC sites as well for some guidance.
    I have a PGCE and a post grad cert ed studies in Language literacy and learning but no EAL teaching qualification. I’m overseas and head of my primary school’s EAL dept.
    I’ve thought about my next steps too. I’m not sure I want to go the linguistics route though.
    Let me know what you get up to.

3. livreb95

livreb95 New commenter

Hi grdwdgrrrl,

Thank you for your suggestions - I'll be sure to follow them up.

Are you looking to do an EAL teaching qualification (I think I may have come across some related threads when trying to start my own)?