1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on becoming a teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Jenniferlhall, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I am currently a nanny with 5.5 years experience as a nanny and 3.5 as a nursery nurse. I am thinking of leaving my job as a nanny to become a teaching assistant as I have a 4 month old son and it would allow me more time with him. Especially when he goes to school. Whilst I have a BTEC National Diploma in Childhood Studies I was looking at courses I can do to help me get a position but there are so many different courses and websites out there I don't want to waste time and money doing something that won't help. Has anyone got any advice on which websites and distance learning courses might benefit me? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Your best bet is to check if your qualification is acceptable for a Foundation Stage TA. I am not sure. If so then that would be the obvious place to start. You could then broaden your qualifications by studying at home (ie Supporting Learning in Primary Schools with the OU, which is a level 4 qualication). However please please think very carefully and DO NOT leave your job without first getting another position. TA jobs are like gold dust, and it is a very competitive area. Good luck.

3. Thank you for your help. I am looking to change jobs when my son is 3-4 as my job currently allows me to take him with me which is ideal. It's when he is older it gets tricky! Ithpigjt I can do whatever training I need to do now and start looking for a job when he is 3 which would give me a year to look for a job. I just thought the sooner I start thinking about it the better!!

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I didn't have any specific TA qualifications when I got my job - they were just looking for GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English, as well as experience in using IT. I think it also helped that I had been doing volunteering in my child's school - but then you already have experience of working with children. I wonder whether your local primary school would be happy to let you know whether your qualification would be suitable - no harm in giving them a ring?