1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on becoming a performing arts/dance teacher in a mainstream school

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Hannicholls, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am a 29 year old professional dancer/singer/actress and am thinking about getting re-directing my career and training to be a teacher. I don't have a degree, I have a DFEE diploma in Musical Theatre, but I do have 7 years performance experience working on cruise ships and touring theatres etc. Does anyone have any advice on how I could get into teaching dance and performing arts in a mainstream school? I really don't know where to begin or if I would even be qualified to join a GTP couse in a school.
    If anyone has any advice or information it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hannah

2. Re. the post above - apologies - I can spell course! Not good start!

3. Hi Hannah!

With your experience you may be employed to teach in a college or perhaps an independent school. To teach in state you would need a degree. I know that some universities (Middlesex maybe?) offer courses to top-up professional training courses to BA Hons qualifications. Alternatively, if you cant find somewhere nearby or would need to keep working, you could do something distance learning, eg Rose Bruford do a distance learning degree in Theatre Studies or maybe OU?

Once you have the degree you could train on the GTP/PGCE and would be eligible to teach in a mainstream secondary.

Hope that helps.