1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on basement conversion please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Has anyone had it done? We have had 2 quotes- one from a basement conversion firm (14K) and one from a builder who we know and trust at about 24K. I'm just wondering how the first can be so much cheaper. The only major differences are one is fitting a delta membrane to walls and the other will tank out using Wykamol membrane system. In fact the first includes a hardwood floor, whilst the second is going to put in a 'floating floor' and then we would have to put whatever over the top. It's not cellar, as we live on a hill, and there is a door that opens into the garden, so just the back half is 'underground'. It's accessed through the garden and also steps down from the lounge. It's a hefty space, over 500 square feet or so. I suppose what I'm worried about is that the first lot will cut corners- or maybe it's just the 2nd lot are ridiculously expensive?? I live in the North of Engalnd btw- Any comments appreciated.

2. Has anyone had it done? We have had 2 quotes- one from a basement conversion firm (14K) and one from a builder who we know and trust at about 24K. I'm just wondering how the first can be so much cheaper. The only major differences are one is fitting a delta membrane to walls and the other will tank out using Wykamol membrane system. In fact the first includes a hardwood floor, whilst the second is going to put in a 'floating floor' and then we would have to put whatever over the top. It's not cellar, as we live on a hill, and there is a door that opens into the garden, so just the back half is 'underground'. It's accessed through the garden and also steps down from the lounge. It's a hefty space, over 500 square feet or so. I suppose what I'm worried about is that the first lot will cut corners- or maybe it's just the 2nd lot are ridiculously expensive?? I live in the North of Engalnd btw- Any comments appreciated.

3. 1) Do some research on the first company . Get some first hand testimonials about their service.
    2) Get a third/fourth quote from other companies.
    3) Ask your trusted builder why he is 10 grand dearer.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

If you are prepared to pay it get a building inspector in and ask his advice. You probabaly been BR anyway for the conversion,especailly if its to become a living space.
    There are all sorts of problems with basement conversions.so proceed slowly and thoughtfully.
    It tanking is to be required then you need to make sure it is done once and correctly..you can do your own research on the internet.If you are relying upon a painted memberane then this is not always the best method....depending on the porusnrss of the walls, amount of water pressure and water table etc etc.
    I saw a firm the other day who come and spray the membrane on and give a long garuntee..but i never caught their name......the floor should be tanked as well and then the finish de-ending upon the finished result..eg underfloor heating, or tile or wood finish!

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Have you had itemised, and therefore detailed, quotes from both?

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

3 quotes essential for all building work. We got quoted about 25k for complete job (membranes etc) which we can't afford :( ,so OH doing himself (slowly) - at least he's out from under my feet (ha ha).

7. Thanks for replies-builders no 3 coming in the morning. One bill has been broken down with prices ( the more expensive) as I asked for this, so I can make decision based on price. I am thinking of moving a door, and they've quoted £1200 + vat. The other quote does not have prices for each job- but they put that if I didn't change the position of the door, I would save £900. So, for the same job, there's a difference of over £500. I will spend some time researching this further- thanks

8. Have had experience of this in two places. One a listed building in which we dug down to make a 2 storey extension out of what had been a one and a half story. Easy, no silly systems, just membranes and proofer. The other in a cellar had tanking and it was fine> the room was about 12 foot by 12 and cost all in 5k ( was 10 years or so ago). Don't be fooled with the lingo. Waterproof is waterproof whatever they like to call it, and it isnt high tech.