1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on applying for International schools with a partner please...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Chloemcsweeney, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hello everyone!
    I am currently considering applying to jobs at international schools as I come to the end of my NQT induction year. I just wondered if anyone had any information/advice as my boyfriend who is not a teacher would be joining me if I was successful. I know that a lot of schools ask about your marital status and I don't know if him not being a teacher/us being married puts me at a disadvantage?
    It is a possibility for him to complete a TEFL course, and he has a football coaching qualification; are these things that would work in my favour? I have no idea how it works... any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance
    Chloe x

2. Hello everyone!
    I am currently considering applying to jobs at international schools as I come to the end of my NQT induction year. I just wondered if anyone had any information/advice as my boyfriend who is not a teacher would be joining me if I was successful. I know that a lot of schools ask about your marital status and I don't know if him not being a teacher/us being married puts me at a disadvantage?
    It is a possibility for him to complete a TEFL course, and he has a football coaching qualification; are these things that would work in my favour? I have no idea how it works... any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance
    Chloe x

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Chloe,
    In most countries in the Middle East, cohabitation is illegal for couples who are not married. Some schools do turn a blind eye to these things and a lot do not. However, you would always have the worry that someone might make a phone call to the police. Of course this is only a rule of thumb and some countries, such as a Saudi Arabia, are a bit stricter than others.
    Most schools, whether they are in the ME or anywhere else, prefer to employ staff who are well qualified and experienced. Therefore it is probable that most of the better schools in the region will not want to employ you. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but there it is. Of course there are always so-called "schools" that will employ anyone, whether or not they have any experience or qualifications. The schools where they chew the fat spring to mind. On the other hand, would you or your boyfriend really want to work in such a school? However, there are so few jobs in the UK at the moment that it may be the case that you do not have much choice.
    The Hippo xxx

4. Thanks for your reply and your advice.
    I do have a few friends who aren't that experienced teaching in international schools and are enjoying the experience so I will risk taking a job in a school that is willing to accept a recently qualified teacher! But thank you for that adivce about the type of school I might be working in.
    It is likely that my boyfriend won't be seeking a job in the same school that I am; that is what I was wondering about more. He doesn't actually need to work (just will probably want to at some point) and therefore do I need to even 'declare him' so to speak?
    Chloe x

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Well, in many countries he will need a visa (other than a tourist visa) to stay longer than a few months. If you do not declare him the school will not help him get a dependent visa and he will be on his own to find an employer to sponsor him or stay in the country illegally. Also the school would not help him with flights or additional housing benefits. You really need to think it through and research s hoops and countries.

6. Thanks... that is why I am asking as I have no idea how much help schools give etc!
    Are schools willing though to support someone who won't be working in their school? Which is why I thought sorting out visas, flights and so on independently for him would increase my chances of geting a job!?
    Chloe x

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, Chloe.

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Yes, schools routinely provide visas, flights and housing for a teacher's dependents. Obviously they would prefer to hire singles and teaching couples without dependents for financial reasons (although many schools like to have teacher's children at the school to foster stability and the teacher's investment in the school).
    Having one dependent should not be a major financial issue for the school, but some schools may not wish to provide benefits to a boyfriend or have an adult non-teaching dependent on their books. Yes, you would be more attractive to schools as a single teacher, no dependent, but you would need to plan for how your boyfriend would be legally allowed to stay in country.
    If you were a member of Search Associates, they have a database of schools and you are able to search for schools who would be open to hiring teachers in your situation. Short of that, pick a strategy, work on a cover letter that explains your situation in the best light and start sending it out to schools in countries that may interest you. Someone here may know of countries where getting him a visa outside of your school may be easier.

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Yes, they do. However, most draw a clear line about what makes a dependent. A spouse is a clear yes. A boyfriend in most schools is not. And in places where cohabitation is illegal, the school would be putting itself in legal jeopardy if they officially had a boyfriend as a dependent. If you want the benefits, and in some cases even if you want the job, marriage is needed.
    Sorry, don't mean to be unsympathetic. But that's the facts.

10. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

If he has a football coaching badge, he will be able to get a job as a shower checker.

Most schools give unskilled jobs to trailing spouces if they really want the trained teacher.

11. Did you get trained to spell spouces?
    Been ill?

12. Ok well thank you very much everyone for the information and help you have given me!
    It is as I expected about us not being married, and so I shall probably not declare him then to increase my chances of getting a job. It sounds unlikely schools would consider financially helping him anyway. We will work out the rest if I am successful in an application (not in the middle east!)
    Thanks again x

13. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Just to make it clear, it is not the issue of naming him, it is the issue of him being able to live in the country <u>at all</u> that may be the problem. Most countries will not allow entry for a long period of time without an employer.
    If he enters as a tourist, you may find he has to do a regular visa run out of the country. If the School provides you with accomodation there may be a clause in the tenancy agreement that no-one else may stay there permanently without you informing the school or the local police. He will need medical insurance and that can be expensive. Can he manage no having a job whilst you are busy at School?