1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on applying for a GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by todd89, Jul 27, 2011.

1. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I have just come to the end of my degree in Sport Development, and I have my career aspirations set on becoming a secondary school PE teacher. After doing a bit of research, I am all for the GTP as I find that first hand experience in the school environment will considerably help me develop as a teacher. I would firstly like to mention that the course I took is not the preferred route into PE teaching as it did not cover all aspects of the national curriculum in terms of the six taught sports for example. Therefore, I must admit that I am weak with regards to the practical side of PE - only having one sport qualification and minor experience in other sports. However, I do feel that I am strong in the GCSE theory department due to researching the subject myself over the last month. This entirely due to the dedication that has been develop in the sport of athletics where I have been able to transfer my commitment into my studies during the degree.

To boost my application further, I am currently a Cover Supervisor in schools around the South Yorkshire area for general subjects and PE, but I only managed to secure the two weeks prior to the end of term because all schools were winding down.

Therefore, I am really stuck because the chances of gaining a place on a GTP are slim purely down to it being early days for building a relationship with a school that provides such as a course and my practical front is not so strong.
    Should I apply anyway or leave it until I build a long term relationship with a number of schools or school?

Regards Todd