1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on a new food technology room please

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by papi, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Hi! Our department have just been given the news that building will start on a new block asap. In the meantime I must plan the interior of the room. Could anyone out there give me some advice please? I think someone wrote about this before - but typically I can't find the thread. Many thanks!

2. Hi! Our department have just been given the news that building will start on a new block asap. In the meantime I must plan the interior of the room. Could anyone out there give me some advice please? I think someone wrote about this before - but typically I can't find the thread. Many thanks!

3. Gos

Gos

Have a look in Building buletin 80 or look in the DATA handbook for HODs.
    Both these publications give you details of what should be placed in all DT rooms.
    Anybody who designs the room must conform to the building buletin 80 guidelines

Hope this helps

4. KHL

KHL

Hi, we've recently gone through this. A lot will depend on the size of your room, finance & class sizes obviously, but if possible I'd aim for a sink and a cooker for every 2 students. Also try & ensure cookers have double ovens (to give maximum space when baking) - and be aware of recent legislation on ventilation where gas cookers are being fitted - this proved very expensive in our refit. Also check that you have enough electric sockets not only for usual services fridge / washer etc - but also a class of 20 using mixers at the same time.

5. Try to have a separate theory area, maybe having a long room with all the kitchens in one end and the theory in the other end. I work in a new building where the theory is smack bang in the middle of the kitchens, it's a nightmare to get kids to focus in a theory lesson. Also a plan to get heavy duty cookers or catering cookers so your room can cater for the diplomas coming in in 2009.

6. Thanks for all your replies!

7. I agree with the above replies. Make sure you have heavy duty cookers & plenty of cupboard space. I found a man designed my room who didn't understand about Food Technology requirements. Make sure you see the plans

8. I wholly agree with the idea of having a seperate area for theory teaching! My desks are squeezed smack bang in the middle of all the cookers etc - nightmare as there is very little space and kids have major problems concentrating - especially if the technician is clearing up etc from previous lesson and the dishwasher, dryer or washer is on - can't hear myself think!

9. New Rooms for food? You may like to know about this advise we have posted on our website www.data.org.uk

New rooms for Food Technology

With the intention to have compulsory KS3 food technology for all pupils by 2011, some schools are looking to build new facilities and many schools are already upgrading their facilities through the Building Schools for the Future programme. The DCSF have announced that they will be developing some new case studies of well designed food rooms, for the BSF programme. They expect schools to use the funding provided via BSF to build new or upgrade food rooms. No additional funding has been provided outside of this.

Early in 2008, the D&T Association has been helping the DCSF to find the exact list of which schools need food facilities, so that provision can be made.

Building regulations

The D&T Association website has very useful information on the building regulations and the guidance for D&T rooms www.data.org.uk. For our members there are case studies in the Resource Vault on how members have re-designed their rooms.

The updated Building Bulletin 81: Design and Technology Accommodation in Secondary Schools A Design Guide is available to order from The Stationery Office and costs £33. It is also free to download from Teachernet http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/default.aspx?PageFu...

A companion website is also available. http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/designandtechnology/1_home.c...

The Design and Technology Association advises that the advice provided in the Building Bulletin and companion website is used as a standard reference for matters of accommodation, room design and layout.

Transforming rooms for D&T
    You may also like to refer to the Building Schools for the Future site. BSF is the biggest single government investment in improving school buildings for over 50 years. The aim is to rebuild or renew every secondary school in England over a 10-15 year period.
    http://www.bsf.gov.uk/
    http://www.naaidt.org.uk/about/guidelines/transforming.ht...

Groups sizes in D&T
    As a general guide, and consistent with the guidelines in Building Bulletin 81 and BS 4163:2007, group size should continue to be in the order of 20/21. In Scotland and Northern Ireland there is a legal maximum of 20 and there is little evidence to show that the needs in England and Wales warrant a different treatment.

Health and Safety
    The health and safety section provides details of health and safety policy, risk assessment in relation to group size and equipment used, strategies for students and risk assessment methods within all D&T teaching areas.

How does my school compare?
    Design and Technology Association's Annual Survey of Provision for D&T for Schools in England & Wales, surveys staffing, funding, resources, professional development, the curriculum, inspection and management in all phases of education. It is an important reference resource for D&T. Further details are available in the publications section of the website.

D&T Association advice and publications
    Advice is detailed more fully in Design and Technology Association's Secondary Subject Leaders' File.
    For members, the Design and Technology Association's Resource Vault has articles and papers which relate to accommodation and resources issues.

Which suppliers to choose?
    There are many suppliers out there and many of their products are similar although the best advice is to find a school locally that have used the supplier and go and see the installation for yourself ? you will also find colleagues will give a good insight into the good and bad points! If you are A D&T Association member we may be able to put you in touch with a local branch member who has recently upgraded their facilities, so that you can visit them or discuss by phone/email.

Your starting point must be with your curriculum needs ? not just now but thinking ahead to the 14-19 changes and any impact that it will have for D&T food. We would always sit down then with the food team and write a wish list ? not just for food equipment, but for the room as well, you may not get it all but it is a really good way to focus the mind on what you and the dept really want ? such things as IWBoard, data projector, work space that allows 10 sinks & cookers (i.e. for 20 students), do you want a catering area or even a room? In addition it is worth thinking about whether you want to have all fixed units or tables that can be moved to give you a different configuration according to need. ICT space is another area to consider.

You may wish to consider the following companies ? they will need a clear steer on exactly what you want!

Klick Technology Ltd (0161 998 9726 - (ask for Julie)
    E: sales@klicktechnology.co.uk
    www.klicktechnology.co.uk

Crossbrook Furniture (01992 557000) www.crossbrookfurniture.co.uk

Key Stage Design (01942 526201) www.keystage.com

Thorpe Kilworth Ltd (01162 885588) www.thorpekilworth.co.uk

Please mention the D&T Association when you call for the best service

10. I used Space Catering. They were very good and fitted out my entire room.
    http://www.spacecatering.co.uk/Whatwedo.aspx

11. I have the design bit sorted, now of all the saucepans, knives chopping boards etc. Does anyone know where I can get the ideal shopping list, and where to buy it?

12. Steelplan Kitchens provide really well designed food technology spaces, their cabinets are made from powder coated steel meaning that they are domestic in appearance but strong enough to withstand constant bombardment by students. Their technicians will visit the school, survey it, and work with the teachers to achieve a design that is aligned with the way your school intends to deliver the curriculum. This can include anything from ICT incorporated into the cooking stations to specific requirements to meet DDA regulations.
    oliver.wotton@steelplan.com
    www.steelplan.com