1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lavellej1, Mar 14, 2020.

1. lavellej1

lavellej1 New commenter

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me. Are there any restrictions on entering my classroom during my PPA time should I need to collate any evidence, gather books to mark etc? Thanks for your support

John

2. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 New commenter

I’m always popping in and out to get different books, pens etc

lavellej1 likes this.
  3. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

Generally it's better to be organised for PPA. It can cause disruption to pop in and out - to both the covering teacher and class. Actually, the teacher might be a bit annoyed.

I'd say be prepared so you don't need to.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your school may well have a policy on this.

I think professional courtesy demands that you keep disruptions to an absolute minimum.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Its entirely between you and the teacher working in there. At that point it is their classroom not yours, so you would need their permission, preferably freely given, not coerced under duress.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Occasionally would be fine, (we all forget things),but not constant interruptions.

7. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

It doesn't really bother me if the actual teacher comes in, infact most do, usually to collect books, resources etc. What bothers me is when they tell me what I should be doing or what not to do with a certain child. I'm the teacher for that moment and I do things my own way.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes! This! I might even be bug gering up a situation and being completely incompetent for that few moments, but I really don't need someone who is 'popping in to get a couple of books' to tell me how to do it right.

celago22 likes this.
  9. lavellej1

lavellej1 New commenter

Just to be clear...I’m not interfering or telling anybody what to do and wouldn’t cross that professional boundary. I’m just asking if their are any restrictions on retrieving books if needed from your classroom

10. caterpillartobutterfly

This will be a school level issue...you'll need to check there.
    But even if there aren't restrictions as such, it isn't very kind to your colleagues to pop in when they are teaching.

11. lavellej1

lavellej1 New commenter

I appreciate that...I’ve worked as a HLTA myself before being a teacher and had teachers pop in from time to time to retrieve books etc as I understood that sometimes it’s unavoidable as you can never take everything you need out of the class for PPA...I’m unsure as to where the unkindness lies? Especially if there is a good working relationship.

12. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 Occasional commenter

I'm always popping in and out of my classroom during ppa. Then again I am the deputy head of the school.

Our staff can also take ppa off-site and at home. So not all staff pop in and out of classrooms but the ones who are on-site do. However, most take their ppa off-site.

lavellej1 likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

Given you have asked the question, there is clearly a problem somewhere.

14. lavellej1

lavellej1 New commenter

There doesn’t always have to be a problem when asking advice...depends on your outlook and how we see things