1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Caymem, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Hi,

Ive been tasked with putting together the new math's timetable over the summer, we have 5 periods a day, 35 a week, we have 25 Math's groups that need 4 periods of maths a week but we only have 5 memebers of staff.

how does someone make sure all classes will be timetabled for a maths lesson and still make sure that all maths teachers are not overworked.

I don't think it is possible so thinking others may have some ideas for it?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Shome mistake shurely?

I was going to try to guess what the numbers really were but then 2 other points occurred to me
    1. A bit late isn't it?
      In 4 (non-working) weeks time you'll all be sitting in an induction day with everyone glaring at you as you discover that you have to deal with 14 separate and incompatible requests to tweak your timetable, that assumes you managed to get it right in the first place!
    2. Isn't this above your pay grade?
      HoDs don't set timetables as they will invariably clash with other departments so an SLT should be carrying out this. What authority do you have to make sure that Maths, not English. get Year 11 on Monday morning?
    3. (I teach it I don't do it) You're stuffed
      Can you possibly untask yourself? This isn't just a slight imposition on your holiday time, more a poisoned chalice that will haunt you for the next academic year as a minimum!
    I strongly suggest that you forget the administrative skills that meant you could possibly solve this and focus on the political skills that mean you can worm out of it/blame someone else. If you see this as a stepping stone to SLT then you've already failed the first test which the person who tasked you has already passed with ease.

3. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

The SLT Has offered to make the timetable. All i have todo is work out what teacher gets what teaching group, I don't mind doing it with the help of others and my team.

Just been told I need to make the curriculum plan for year 10 and year 11 GCSE Maths this holiday also? is it possible todo it all in the time that I have left.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Apologies @Caymem I misunderstood your original post. Well done for the sorting you did. The allocation of teacher to group is precisely in your job description I'd guess. Still late though and handovers will be difficult but essential on the INSET day.

Strongly suspect that the curriculum plan is also in the job description and there's plenty of holiday left. Also September will be a mad rush so you have to do it now! This is regardless of the fact that you really need to have your team and yourself in the building where you can check resources etc and tailor this to the curriculum plan.

Of course this shouldn't be imposed upon you but I presume you err.... volunteered for this. Can't you just take the plan from last year and change the font?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

5 year groups, 5 staff, that's one group in each year each, giving 20 periods each to teach.
    In many schools, ordinary teachers will teach up to 22 lessons, so that's fine, except that HoD/NQTs might teach a little less. You ought to have been told what the teaching load should be for the members of your department - especially if any are different because they teach another subject or have other responsibilities.

Have you been told how maths is usually blocked for setting? If all the groups in a year are on at the same time (giving maximum flexibility for setting), then you've no alternative to each teacher having one group in each year.
    It may be that you don't get the whole year group at once in KS3, or that year 7 is mixed ability - that then enables you to have some teachers teaching 1.5 year 7 groups and HoD/NQT teaching only half a year 7 group, if required.

Year 11 usually keep their year 10 teacher. If you have any means of contacting existing teachers to ask if there are any groups they particularly want to keep/not keep (and the reasons), that's a good idea - don't guarantee it in case it doesn't work out nicely, but it can be a good starting point. Sometimes someone has a bottom set they've got the better of that they'd be very happy to keep
    Then look at the balance of sets that gives, and balance up so that everyone capable of teaching a top set gets one, and everyone gets their fair share of grotty groups.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

We are having a staff meeting Friday to discuss groups and to make sure everyone gets enough teaching hours.

Do u have any schenes of works I can look at to get an idea of how to set one out please. I cant use last years as it's for a different course and is hard to understand plus we only have a pdf version and not an editable version of it. I didn't write it, the last guy did at last monent.

7. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Just decided I'll check resources have on system Friday and in textbooks and make a. Google drive folder so everyone can share resources between each other and so everyone has everything for the year. It will also help for cover as the lesson should be in there and planned allready.

8. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

will discuss this with the team Friday just been sent groups and now been given 7 groups per year group with 5 full time staff, two part time stuff which job share and me. So should be easier to plan the lessons now