1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by jlock2291, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jlock2291

jlock2291 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I am now into my third year of teaching. My degree is in sports and exercise coaching science and I started out my teaching career as an unqualified teacher teaching KS3/KS4 PE. The school where I work wanted to keep me on and offered to put me through my teacher training however this was in Biology as there was no jobs available in PE. Realising that there was no PE jobs in my local area I accepted and did my teacher training (SCITT) in biology at the school in which I currently still work. Three years down the line I have realised that this was a mistake as I simply dont have the passion for the subject like I would have for PE and I am desperate to get a PE role. Would I be able to apply for PE jobs based on my degree and PE qualifications (Coaching etc) or would the fact that my teacher training was in Biology prevent me from getting a look in when it comes to applying for PE jobs. Hope that has made sense and any feedback would be great.

Many thanks

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Might actually be to your advantage!

I never taught only PE until I moved abroad (1st job I was 50% PE 50% Geography / History) so a combination of PE and Biology (or Biology and PE) might push all the right buttons for some schools

jlock2291 likes this.