1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by roboman1984, Jun 21, 2017.

1. roboman1984

roboman1984 New commenter

About five years ago I left teaching for good. I'd had a terrible year. An NQT on my first job - bullied by SLT, given a class of severely behaviourally challenged pupils in a rough area, my TA taken away from me, no support, a NQT tutor who never saw me and a school that didn't support me. By the end of it I was on the verge of a breakdown. It totally put me off teaching. In the mean time I have spent five years working as a one to one with autistic pupils and now I find that although I love my job I am bored. At the time I doubted myself and felt that everything was my fault. Now I look back and see that I was failed. I am tempted to get back in to teaching just to see if I could give it another chance. MY question is has anyone here had a similar experience? Should I give it another go? Do I need to do a refresher course?

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Did you complete and pass your NQT year? If so, there's no reason not to apply for teaching posts. Why not try supply for a while and see how you like it? This also gives you a chance to get back in the swing of being in charge of a class not just one pupil.

Good luck!

3. KKaupa

KKaupa New commenter

Hi Roboman,

What subject would you be looking to return to teach?

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/return-to-teaching

I would look at maybe exam marking (a bit late now, but it would help you with what the levels are like, the new GCSE structure (if you're Secondary that is), and where the focus is now within your subject.

If you can, try to get into a school to observe, and perhaps get some lessons taught - you'll really be aiming for someone to be a reference for you - as this will be the main hurdle you will probably come across.

Hope this helps,

Kathryn