1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mapledrop, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Hi everyone.

I'm currently signed off with WRS and recently had a meeting with the HT. I didn't go alone, my union rep came with me.

Unfortunately for me it's a case of when I return to work it's just a case of getting on with it. No surprise there. There will be no changes apart from a phased return. My Union rep has gone through the options with me. One suggestion is to apply for flexible working (I think reducing hours might help) but the words 'settlement' and 'agreement' were also mentioned.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has had a settlement agreement as I know very little about it. What does this process involve? How will this affect my reference?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here is some basic information about S.A.s. I am really sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation, and hope that you come out of it all both stronger and happier.

Settlement Agreements

Best wishes

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I didn't comment at first as I know nothing about SAs but take full advantage of the phased return and explore all options with your union as well as looking into going part-time.

I know that 0.6 allowed me to teach the way I wanted to. I simply couldn't have taught full-time and held my head high.

So look after you, think it through and don't be rushed whilst doing so.

4. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Thank you for your replies @TheoGriff and @grumpydogwoman. For the time being I am signed off and I have a fantastic Union rep who is always there for advice and support so I will think long and hard about my next step. I know one thing though is that I intend to leave at the end of the summer term. Had enough!

I imagined myself returning to work but after seeing the HT I just don't know if I can, even for a phased return. Lots of factors have played a part as to why I became ill such as bullying, workload, stress etc and I just don't know if I can return to all of that. On the other hand if I did return it wouldn't be for long and I can leave with my head held high. I like the sound of the latter but I don't know if I am strong enough.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep strong, @mapledrop , and remember that you have friends on here.

Remember also what i say in the article about insisting on a normal leaving date - April 30 or August 31. Make sure that your union rep (how lucky you are!) remembers this too.

Best wishes

mapledrop likes this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Have you thought about a OH appointment? Ask your union rep if they think it would help. I was referred to them twice and found them very much on my side and not the side of the school.

mapledrop likes this.
  7. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I was in exactly the same position as you are, at around May of last year. It has taken a year but I have just today emerged from the tunnel. Feel free to PM me. :)

mapledrop and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

You sound strong to me @mapledrop
    You aren't self-pitying. You sound measured. You write compellingly and clearly without histrionics.

I bet that, whatever you decide, you'll do things properly and will be able to be satisfied with the way you have handled things and, though it may take time, feel you have acquitted yourself well in a tough situation.

Best wishes.

9. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Thank you @grumpydogwoman. I am really trying to be strong. However I still feel the guilt for being off long term and I feel for my colleagues that are still in the thick of it. I'm also worried about my future. Teaching was a job I loved and now I've lost my confidence and belief in the whole system and I just don't know if I can do it again. I know I can't stay at my current school, maybe there will be a better place out there but I just have to find it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

There are people on these boards who have remained in teaching and found decent places to work. Start looking. I don't know you but you come across well and I am sure you have plenty to give.

Be not down-hearted!

mapledrop likes this.
  11. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

It could be the school rather than the job. It also depends on the source of the WRS in the first place. If it's something that can't be sorted by the school, then it might be best to move on, however if there are some changes that can be made, then it could be worth trying the phased return.

You mentioned that there will be no changes made, did you go in with clear requests for changes?

mapledrop likes this.
  12. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

@englishteach101 Yes, I went in with requests and all were turned down apart from a phased return. OH report made suggestions and they were turned down too. HT was very frosty and showed no empathy.

I worked so hard at my job. I used to be good in the eyes of the previous head but the new HT thinks otherwise. No matter what I do it isn't good enough. It's really knocked my confidence. Going through this and previously being bullied was too much and I went under. The stress has now led to anxiety and depression. I'm doing all that I can to get out of it but it is taking time.

13. grumpydogwoman

Try to derive some positives from the phased return. Be pleased when a lesson goes well and don't let anyone tell you it didn't if you think it DID. Remind yourself what your strengths are.

HT turns down all OH suggestions? Unchallenged by the rep? Hmmmmm.

Sounds rather as if the writing is on the wall at your current place. But don't despair. I think hundreds of teachers have been where you are the past couple of years and many have moved schools and regained their mojo.