1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Izzy121, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Hello,

I'm not currently working, but am looking for jobs for Sept. I'm in a complex situation though...

Last March, my world caved in, I won't go into detail, but it left me a single mum of 3. I was working at the time in a maternity cover. I was signed off work due to the situation - I had an 'acute stress reaction'. The head was v sympathetic (the situation was appalling & unusual), and wasn't remotely surprised when I never managed to return to the job - the contract ran out in June.

I haven't worked since, but am now in a position to return to work part time.

What, if anything, should I explain about my previous position & how I left?

Will I get any sort of reference? I'm embarrassed to approach the old head...

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear that you had a traumatic experience last year. Single parent of any number is hard; three is even harder, and having to be strong for them too. I admire you for coming through that.

Now you want to apply for teaching jobs again. I can help you with that - scroll down the forums list and come to Jobseekers forum, and I'll point you to loads of helpful links about applications.

You will need to have a brief sentence in any application to give a general explanation. Otherwise they might think that you had been sacked! I often help people with this wording, asking them to give an outline and then I re-word it for them. In view of the unusual situation, I think this wouldn't be a good idea to ask you to post that, so exceptionally, I'm going to suggest something that I normally don't: that you contact me privately via the Conversations, and give me some more details so that I can help you there. Just give me the broad outline of what happened, so I can suggest a brief explanation that won't go into too much detail.

I'm afraid that you need to approach her, as you will be required to give your current or most recent employer in a post involving working with children or young people. But I am sure that she will understand.

So send me a Conversation . . .

Best wishes

joannagb and ilovepoppies like this.
  3. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Thanks Theo, the whole sorry saga is awaiting your inspection...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Having read your message to me, I do SO admire you, @Izzy121 . . . my reply in Conversations.

Now make sure that you read all the advice; come over to the Jobseekers Forum for any more queries

Applications advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Letter of application for a teaching job ***NEW ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

5. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Much appreciated x