1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by apostrophefanatic, Jan 26, 2016.

1. apostrophefanatic

apostrophefanatic New commenter

Hi all.
    I'm just after some advice concerning teaching abroad.
    I'm in my 6th year of teaching and am currently a Key Stage leader but in thinking of a year teaching somewhere else; in an English teacher.

I don't have any children but would be accompanied by my partner (we're not married).

My partner isn't a teacher but does have a degree and he'd be interested in teaching too.

Has anyone got any ideas as to where to look? Or where to go? Or what would be suitable as an unmarried couple (I'm assuming Dubai and the rest of that area would be out of the question).

So, yeah, any advice or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

2. bchuckle

bchuckle New commenter

Your main issue is going to be benefits for your partner. If you're not married, many schools won't pay for his flights or medical, etc, even if the work permit laws allow him to accompany you (and, as you say, some certainly don't). You'd also only have a single person's housing allowance and that may be a disadvantage.

As a result, your first, best bet would be the EU, but also some countries in SE Asia, but you'd be surviving on one salary, unless there was some kind of opportunity for the school to employ your partner as, say, a Technician, though this would only be at local hire rates.

Ultimately, you'd better get a move on whatever you do. The big job fairs are over and a lot of schools will now have finished their hiring. There will be a second wave, where schools will deal with subsequent resignations, but it won't (mostly) be as busy from now on in.

3. apostrophefanatic

apostrophefanatic New commenter

Typo above for all the pedantics (I'm)...

Firstly, thanks for the reply!

I'm not too bothered about a September start.

What recruitment fairs? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be super!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The right direction might be to start one of those "conversation" things with an ancient and smelly swamp-dwelling animal.

5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My partner and I aren't married and I work at the same school he does. When he was offered the job here he told them I was coming with him and asked if there might be employment opportunities. They had an opening as a TA and I was interviewed and hired. We get by pretty well on our single person housing allowance and live on my salary. We send all of his home. Feel free to start a conversation with me if you want to chat.

6. bchuckle

bchuckle New commenter

Well, you might not be bothered about a September start, but the only way of getting a job out of that cycle would be if a school loses a teacher mid-year - which normally means that there's been a disaster and you'll be wading in to sort that. Job Fairs are held in January in Melbourne and London and, I think, Hong Kong by Search Associates.

I agree that you can get by with a single person housing allowance if you're savvy and do your research about schools and regions and packages.

Good luck!

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

international schools recruiting season is very different to state schools. in general terms it runs from around October to March, for hires to start work in August. this can differ for schools in the southern hemisphere (although i have been in two different schools south of the equator, but they went from August to June) there are jobs before and after these dates, but as a guide use these dates. schools seem to be asking for staff to resign earlier and earlier each year. i know my current school has completed its recruitment for this year already. and that job fair is in Bangkok, not hong kong