1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Popples, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Im working in a school as a Year5/6 teacher that is due an Ofsted inspection at any time. I have returned to my post after maternity leave and Im working full time. The school dont know, as I like to keep my personal life private, Im a single mum. To cut a long story short, Im struggling. Im off with my second bout of sickness and I know but dare admit it, that its stress induced. Im not alone in this as many staff have been showing signs of stress. I care deeply about my class and I hate the fact they are having to be taught by different supply teachers. I am also concerned that Im working every weekend and not giving my daughter the attention she needs. Something is going to have to give as I cannot keep up this pace. Im seriously considering handing in my notice and going on supply whilst I look for a part time job however because Im off sick at the moment I wondered how I should go about this.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the right thing for all concerned but I also want to be able to have a career once my daughter attends full time school.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    Im working in a school as a Year5/6 teacher that is due an Ofsted inspection at any time. I have returned to my post after maternity leave and Im working full time. The school dont know, as I like to keep my personal life private, Im a single mum. To cut a long story short, Im struggling. Im off with my second bout of sickness and I know but dare admit it, that its stress induced. Im not alone in this as many staff have been showing signs of stress. I care deeply about my class and I hate the fact they are having to be taught by different supply teachers. I am also concerned that Im working every weekend and not giving my daughter the attention she needs. Something is going to have to give as I cannot keep up this pace. Im seriously considering handing in my notice and going on supply whilst I look for a part time job however because Im off sick at the moment I wondered how I should go about this.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the right thing for all concerned but I also want to be able to have a career once my daughter attends full time school.
    Thanks

3. I'm so sorry to hear how things are going for you. I consider my staff to be my most important resource and try to invest a lot of time in them. I hope that you are now feeling a sense of peace if you 'have your answer'. I would like to think that you have someone you trust who knows the situation, perhaps a colleague, that you can sit down with and thrash out what the best next move is for you. All the best!

4. There is a flip side to this. Before I became HT I worked for four years PT and I have to say that the advantages were many. Supply does mean that you get to switch off at the end of the day and that is very good news for the stressed you do miss out on having your own class but you also get a lot of variety. I would also stress that you must speak to your HT ASAP as otherwise you will get more stressed and if inspection looms your HT needs to be able to plan for your continued absence or at least and hopefully get some support in place for you pronto.
    Best of Luck