1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ahaywar2, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Would appreciate advice on the following matter!

I am in my second year of teaching Reception after passing my NQT in the summer. Last year seemed fine but this year I feel like a lot of pressure has been put on me. For the first 6 weeks I worked alongside an NQT and had a TA that had never been a TA before so had to train her up. Then after 6 weeks they took that TA out and replaced her with another TA who had also never been a TA before either. I explained to my head I was feeling quite pressured and she said to ask other teachers how they cope with the pressure.

Last term when a new canopy was being built I was told it was my responsibility to organise moving all the equipment under the old canopy (including two sheds). I went to the head and asked where she wanted the stuff moved to, how she intended it to be moved and by when, she replied 'come back to me when you've got a solution'. I got upset as I find her so useless when I ask for help and she said 'perhaps I need to think about whether I can cope with the pressure'. This has really made me doubt myself.

Then today, my TA has announced she is going back to her old role as a learning mentor and had asked the head if I will have somebody to cover for her. I was called into the office and they asked me if I struggled on my own. I said I found it challenging as I have a couple of tricky children and have had to leave lesson inputs to deal with their behaviour. As i only have 20 children in the class the head said 'What would you do if you had 30 children?'. Again, I felt she was implying I couldn't cope with the job.

I feel that I could cope with the job if I was getting the support I needed. not really sure where to go from here. Would appreciate some advice on whether I'm not coping with the pressure or if they are expecting too much of me.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Teaching FS is very tiring and you need continuity with your TA's. It sounds like the Head has little understanding of Early Years. Am I right? Have you thought about popping your thoughts into a note to her, giving her time to reflect and asking to meet with her for a chat to resolve the isssues. I would take someone with you into the meeting that will back you up, perhaps the mentor from your NQT year, if not get some advice from your professional association, dont' let her intimidate you. You have a hard enough job as it is, Teacher support network is also a useful avenue too.

3. Thanks for your response. I think I'll speak to union. My contract finishes at the end of the summer anyway so I'll keep looking for another job in the meantime I think!