1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 07158422, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and have a month contract of supply work until October.
    During the summer I have been told I don't need therapy anymore (after going for nine years).
    Whilst at University I had a lot of Tonsilitis and I am currently being tested for Glandular fever.
    I am happy (we all have off days!) but I am struggling with my health.
    My doctor says I have IBS, I seem to have flare up's and at the moment I have pain in my stomach after eating just about anything. I also feel sick and dizzy in the evening, especially after eating anything richer than plain pasta and a tomatoe sauce.
    I didn't sleep well last night, I usually remember my dreams as I often wake up screaming or crying in my sleep.
    I don't feel that anxious (not as much as I used to do), I know IBS can be stress/ anxiety related but I am enjoying my time in school and I have a laugh with most of the staff.
    I just heard my mum say "how will she hold a real job down." She doesn't know how bad my IBS is, I have had serious pain for the last month, daily. My glands are starting to swell, just how my tonsilitis always starts, I am shivering (even with a blanket and fire on), I am incredibly tired, I feel drained.
    I just don't know what to do. I've told the doctors everything and they seem to think I'm fine. Should I get a second opinion, or could all of the symptons be down to possible Glandular fever?
    Sorry for being so long winded, my brain can't work tonight if things aren't written spaced out and clear.

2. Bearing in mind here that I have not a medical/psychiatric qualification in the universe, may I suggest that all the symptoms you describe here are also symptoms that accompany a general anxiety disorder; and that whilst each may have a separate physical reason, each may equally well be a side-effect of underlying anxiety.
    Each may also be due to knackering glandular fever, which it took my nephew three years to fully recover from.
    But it may do no harm to ask/suggest/yehiknow you're not the doctor for a trial of an antidepressant with anxiolytic effect, and give it a couple of months to see if it clears anything else up?

3. Apart from the tonsillitis, that is. That's just tonsillitis. My son gets that whenever he gets run down and really bad. I don't know why they don't just take them out anymore.

4. Thanks, I have realised that the symptons may be seen as something to do with anxiety but in that department I feel fine about things. I don't know I just feel all out of sorts! Early night for me I think

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Get a second opinion to put your mind at rest and then if it is anxiety you can deal with that.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hope it's not glandular fever. My ex had that and you really need a long time to make a full recovery.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Are you sure it is IBS? I would ask for some blood tests to see if there is any inflammation or infection. Do you get diarrhoea with it? It could be colitis, in which case medication would help.

8. I can sympathise with the stomach pains. I also suffer badly with stomach pains on and off (at the moment, they have been bothering me daily for the past 3 weeks!) I was also told by my GP that I have IBS-I had blood tests for other bowel diseases and they all came back clear but I still wonder sometimes whether there is something more. That said, my default mental state is one of high anxiety and stress so that could be something to do with it. I would definitely ask for a second opinion.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

There's another test to get to the bottom (!) of things. A colonoscopy. Not as bad as it sounds....