1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Faldamir12, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have recently completed my NQT year and now secured a permanent position with the school, although I am concerned about the amount I will be asked to do in September as I have had no experience teaching IB whatsoever.
    In addition to teaching my main subject I will also be expected to teach;
    KS3 French (approximately 10 hours a fortnight).
    AS Level (8 hours a fortnight).
    IB Philosophy.
    I was recently called into a meeting with SLT and told that I will be expected to teach an additional 3 hours a fortnight of a core module in IB. Those three hours will either be taught during a lunchtime or after school. I understand that if I took this to the union this would be a breach of contractual conditions of teachers without proper consultation.
    We have not even been issued our timetable for September yet!!!! I really need advice here.....Would you take the matter of working during lunchtimes/after school further assuming that the timetables have been finalised?

Thanks and apologies for any typos....really stressed and just don't know what to do! =(

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

what one earth is IB?
    if you did your NQT year in that school, why have you only just been made permanent?
    you don't get paid for lunchtimes, so you can't be directed to teach. does your school have a split lunch so you can have your break at a different time?

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

International baccalaureate.........

4. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

The post was originally for maternity cover but was subsequently made permanent due to another person moving to another school.

There is no split lunch. We were told to teach either 3 lunchtimes a fortnight, or 3 after school sessions a fornight. I personally think it's too late to take the matter further as there are other new teachers who are in the same position as I am.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I trust your "main subject" is another MFL ot that you are properly MFL trained, not just a.n.other (near) native speaker?

presumably, your HoD will give you that direction. It really isn't so very different to A level
    Do you have the necessary knowledge to deliver this adequately? If not, you can argue lack of subject knowledge to get it dismissed from your t/t - mind you, your contract will probably state that you are employed as "a teacher" and can be deployed wherever the Head sees fit.
    This is comcerning, but........... are you being offered extra N/T to compensate? My colleage does A2 Spanish after school 2 days a week because it cannot be slotted into the t/t, but gets additional ppa during the week.
    Not unusual, I'm afriad, but you <u>should </u>get it by the end of the term.

6. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

My main subject is RE and I do have the relevant subject knowledge to deliver the IB although I feel slightly hard done by to be given this as a second year teacher. I am bilingual which is why they have asked me to teach French.

I won't have additional ppa time to compensate.....they are struggling to fit in 60 hours into our 50 periods a fortnight, hence why lunchtimes or even a period '6' after school is on the cards.

7. coppull

coppull New commenter

This place you are working at sounds like a prison or (Gove Academy).
    Yes you can talk to your Union at the Regional Centre.The Gove Academy will not know you have sought advice.
    If you do not like the situation you should,apply for a different school starting there in January 2012. Clearly there are better schools to work in than this one.[​IMG]

8. I'm sure you'll be fine with the IB. I set up our department's IB course as
    an NQT and coped fine- just make sure you speak to your IB coordinator if there
    is anything you are not sure of. There is the OCC forum for each subject online
    which you should be given a log on and password for, you can ask loads of
    questions and share resources on there. You also need to ask to go on a stage
    one subject course, which is a requirement for teaching IB as part of your CPD.
    PM me if you have any other questions about the IB.

We have one subject taught out of timetable hours at our school and that was
    because the teacher concerned was quite happy to do this. They get an equal
    amount of time on the morning of that day as PPA for which they are not required
    to be in school.