1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brfcsc, May 5, 2011.

1. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi everyone. A job has come up which is ideal for me- location, subject responsibility, links with my local church etc The job is for smt and I have no experience for this. I have been teaching for 3 years in a first school. Is it worth me applying or will I have no chance?

2. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi everyone. A job has come up which is ideal for me- location, subject responsibility, links with my local church etc The job is for smt and I have no experience for this. I have been teaching for 3 years in a first school. Is it worth me applying or will I have no chance?

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It will be worth if for the experience of applying.
    We don't know you or the school so we wouldn't be able to say whether you'd be likely to get it or not. Maybe your HT could give you some advice.
    It's not unheard of for teachers with 3 years teaching experience and no managerial experience to get an SMT position but it's rare.
    You have little to lose, though.

4. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Ok thanks for the advice I will apply anyway but with low expectations will be good experience!

5. You must have had some responsibilities can you not dress these up a bit in the application?
    Leading a subject, leading a meeting, proposing ideas etc

6. You really need to play to your strengths here and show your passion for this job and what you could bring to it. A spark and enthusiasm goes a long way.
    You won't be employed beacuse it is convenient for you - close to home - so make sure you focus on the other aspects. My former Head loved to talk about 'vision' and knowing what you wanted to achieve in a specific role.
    Good luck!

7. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Yeah I didn't mean convenient as in close to me- I have been ict coordinator for the last two years and the advert specifically said they want someone to lead ict. Also they do a lot of work with the local church where I am a youth leader so there are obvious reasons I should go for the job- just a shame my lack of experience may hold me back!