1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mangomouse, Feb 20, 2011.

1. A decision soon has to be made (during what is for all of us a difficult time regarding budgets) as to the appointment of a new deputy assisstant head at the cost of loosing what could be three LTAs. This seems rather strange to me in as much i think the money would be better spent on the front line so to speak .While i realise that a competent slt are needed in a school im finding it a difficult decision to make and would value some input. Could someone clarify my position as a governor ... is my vote for the children whose education may suffer when their additional help may be taken away or to slt to soften their workload and enable the slt to complete the vision for the school for the years ahead ..................

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

If you have no Deputy Head who will perform the statutory functions of the HT in their absence ?

3. opps apologies i missed out there is already one deputy head and also an assistant deputy head .

4. To clarify at the moment SLT comprise of head teacher one deputy head and one assistant deputy head

5. There is no such post as Assistant Deputy Head. It is either Deputy Head Teacher or Assistant Head Teacher.
    I would question the need to strengthen management in a time of economic strigency, but it is for the individual school to decide its own priorities based on the needs of the setting.

6. sorry now im confused ... if there is head and a deputy head in place already with another role 'under' the deputy what is their title then ? thanks

7. Presumably Assistant Head Teacher.
    But it really could be anything, depending upon the size and type of the school.

8. thank you ....im going to repost this enquiry to clare for advice as to where my vote should be directed

9. Dear Clare
    A decision soon has to be made (during what is for all of us a difficult time regarding budgets) as to the appointment of a new deputy assisstant head at the cost of loosing what could be three LTAs. This seems rather strange to me in as much i think the money would be better spent on the front line so to speak .While i realise that a competent slt are needed in a school im finding it a difficult decision to make and would value some input. Could someone clarify my position as a governor ... is my vote for the children whose education may suffer when their additional help may be taken away or to slt to soften their workload and enable the slt to complete the vision for the school for the years ahead ..................