1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by md294, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I am in desperate need of some help or advice as to how I can tackle my situation.
    I started my NQT year last September as a job share for 2 days a week. My mentor is fantastic and very supportive but there have been numerous issues bubbling away with the other teacher which I share the class with.
    Before Christmas I couldn't take things anymore. So I wrote everything down and approached my headteacher who listened and made notes of all the problems. Issues with the job share range from doing all the literacy APP's myself, leading/planning and organising a school trip, noticing that work hasnt been marked and so did the children, none of her planning has been updated on the system, and so the list went on. The headteacher admitted that he knew about some of the issues but was surprised that the other teacher with 8 years experience was not pulling her weight. He said that I am doing more than I should be as an NQT, but if I didn't do it we would be behind with all the admin and ultimately the children would suffer. The situation was left to be dealt with.
    Since returning after the Christmas holidays, nothing has changed. I have given it 4 weeks and things are just getting worse. Parents evening was 2 weeks ago and targets needed to be set. I took on all the literacy targets and the other teacher did numeracy. When parents evening came, she called in sick. I had no numeracy targets to discuss and had to do 32 appointments with parents on my own. I had to make excuses and apologise to the parents for the missing targets and I felt really annoyed that I had to run around and pick up her mistakes. Again the headteacher knew about this and wasnt happy, but yet nothing was done about it.
    The onus is always on me to do everything! She admitted she was struggling with planning,marking etc and said I have more time to do things as she has family commitments. I told her I was not giving her the literacy planning for each unit anymore and she got very annoyed at me because of this.
    I feel as if I am constantly picking up and dealing with her mistakes, when I'm the one that is new to the profession and should be making the errors. I have reached boiling point, where I hate communicating with this woman because everyday I find out something else which hasnt been done or things that I need to sort out. Words cannot really convey how much this is affecting me both mentally and emotionally
    I plan to approach my headteacher again with my list, but half of me wonders what is the point when things last term were not sorted. So, I am actively looking for another post because I cannot work under this amount of stress, even though its not advised to move in your first year.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    MD

2. I am in desperate need of some help or advice as to how I can tackle my situation.
    I started my NQT year last September as a job share for 2 days a week. My mentor is fantastic and very supportive but there have been numerous issues bubbling away with the other teacher which I share the class with.
    Before Christmas I couldn't take things anymore. So I wrote everything down and approached my headteacher who listened and made notes of all the problems. Issues with the job share range from doing all the literacy APP's myself, leading/planning and organising a school trip, noticing that work hasnt been marked and so did the children, none of her planning has been updated on the system, and so the list went on. The headteacher admitted that he knew about some of the issues but was surprised that the other teacher with 8 years experience was not pulling her weight. He said that I am doing more than I should be as an NQT, but if I didn't do it we would be behind with all the admin and ultimately the children would suffer. The situation was left to be dealt with.
    Since returning after the Christmas holidays, nothing has changed. I have given it 4 weeks and things are just getting worse. Parents evening was 2 weeks ago and targets needed to be set. I took on all the literacy targets and the other teacher did numeracy. When parents evening came, she called in sick. I had no numeracy targets to discuss and had to do 32 appointments with parents on my own. I had to make excuses and apologise to the parents for the missing targets and I felt really annoyed that I had to run around and pick up her mistakes. Again the headteacher knew about this and wasnt happy, but yet nothing was done about it.
    The onus is always on me to do everything! She admitted she was struggling with planning,marking etc and said I have more time to do things as she has family commitments. I told her I was not giving her the literacy planning for each unit anymore and she got very annoyed at me because of this.
    I feel as if I am constantly picking up and dealing with her mistakes, when I'm the one that is new to the profession and should be making the errors. I have reached boiling point, where I hate communicating with this woman because everyday I find out something else which hasnt been done or things that I need to sort out. Words cannot really convey how much this is affecting me both mentally and emotionally
    I plan to approach my headteacher again with my list, but half of me wonders what is the point when things last term were not sorted. So, I am actively looking for another post because I cannot work under this amount of stress, even though its not advised to move in your first year.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    MD