1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed: To move, or not to move...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by teachertogg, Apr 15, 2017.

1. teachertogg

teachertogg New commenter

Hi
    Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
    I have been teaching in a one form entry primary school in London for the last four years. I have worked my way up the MPS so that I am now at MPS 5 (I did a double jump last year). I am currently doing a Mathematics Education masters at King's College, which finishes next summer and I don't want to move before I complete that - so I have until next year to make up my mind and work towards any goals. Next summer, after finishing my Masters, I have the opportunity to move down to the coast to be nearer family. It also means I will be able to buy my own property, something I wouldn't ever be able to do where I am in London. However, moving will also mean that I lose out on London wage; I will lose about £3000 a year (or there abouts). Also, I am in a very comfortable position at my current school: I have a very supportive head teacher and have leadership responsibilities.
    If I move, I might have to go back down the pay scale and might have less responsibilities (I want those in order that I can progress in my career). I am wondering whether it would be worth attempting to work over this next year towards taking on more management responsibilities at my current school and then looking for a deputy role when I move. I have only taught in upper key stage 2 but from training have some experience of KS1 and EYFS.
    In your opinions, would I stand any chance of being able to get a deputy role or am I better off taking the pay cut and take a more conventional teaching role first?
    Are there any other progression routes I could take at this point instead of attempting to move into a management role? In an ideal world, I would like to support other teachers in teaching mathematics (this is my ultimate goal).
    Thank you again for any advice, I am a bit stuck...

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I might be out of date but is DHT the only management option for you. What about another SLT role eg KS leader or even AHT - but that might be a big jump with your limited experience. In my day there would be plenty of competition from people with experience across the age range.Opportunities in larger schools can be a good stepping off point into career development of all sorts. Definitely try to develop your management role in your present school and then look for work in a larger school out of London - maybe moving into lower KS1 with maths responsibility or working across all primary age groups and it might well soften the blow of losing the London weighting and build your experience. You'll be better placed for DHship with wider experience across the age range. AHT is another good step to go for in a large school.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I honestly think with four years experience (five next year) all in upper KS2 and all in the same one form entry school, you would definitely not be ready for DH. Sorry, but absolutely not.

My advice would be to do any of the below in the short term, with the idea of doing all of them at some stage before applying for a deputy role.
    • Move to a larger school.
    • Move to a different KS.
    • Do a masters in something like Educational Leadership.
    • Do the NPQML.
    • Be a core subject leader in a larger school.
    • Be a KS leader in a larger school.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. teachertogg

teachertogg New commenter

Thanks, it's all helpful advice. I'm trying to get my head around what the possible options are. I'm not sure management is the right place for me anyway.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Definitely, you need wider experience in a range of roles/schools before looking at a DH role. If maths is your interest, look at leading maths across all year groups in a large school/academy chain. Or a role within a teaching school/alliance where you can focus on maths training. Time was when you would look at being a maths consultant for the local authority but those days are long gone, we now have a series of training schools/independent consultants to do the same job!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Good advice re looking for Ass Head or KS/Core Subject Leader roles.

Losing 3k off your salary would be offset and then some of you moved to a role with a TLR and moved a point up the scale. Plus, the cost of living outside London is considerably lower. :)