1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed: SCE application, difference between supporting statement and covering letter?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Spice0012, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

<font size="3">Hi folks </font><font size="3">I am currently spending ages completing the SCE application form and my mind (and fingers) has gone completely blank. What&rsquo;s the main difference between a covering letter and supporting letter as the online application wants both.</font> For a previous application I was requested to write a letter of application where I had to talk about strengths, interests and how I could enhance the school etc. However I am now totally confused????
    please help.
    Spicey [​IMG]

2. Chrystaltipps

Chrystaltipps New commenter

Hi Spicey,

The way I understand it is that a 'supporting statement' is like your personal statement, where you state your current/past teaching experience, clubs you've run, strengths you have and what you could bring to the school etc etc.
    The 'covering letter' is the 'letter' you write to the person you're applying to, stating the job you are applying for and giving an outline of where you are now and why you are applying for this posistion. Imagine you are doing an old-fashioned snail mail application and this is your polite introduction to the school and the first thing out of the envelope. I hope this is correct, as it's what I've been doing for years!!!