1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed regarding Y3 child

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by scorpio12, Jan 19, 2016.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello all,

I am currently doing some 1:1 maths work with a child in year 3. This child has no diagnosed special educational need but is working below age expected level and has difficulty with retaining information. We have been working on number bonds to 10 using numicon. When she has the practical equipment she is able to work out the pairs and shows understanding that the pairs can be reversed e.g 7+3 = 10 and 3 + 7 =10. However, when I take the equipment away at the end and try to test her in a quick recall style she cannot remember any of them. Any advice as to how to help her to transfer her knowledge to memory? This is a common problem across subjects where she seems to be able to process the information at the time but not retain it. Many thanks.

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I did back-up with quite a few similar sounding youngsters. It is something if they can find the answer with equipment! Some of them liked competing against themselves with double-sided cards so their suggested answer could be quickly checked, or having the sum presented in a story and/or practical way. Some of the activities are listed here http://languageisheartosay.com/resources/number-and-counting/ but are all on TES.