1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed re planning for interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I have an interview next week and have been asked to prepare a week's worth of maths planning - at the interview I will be teaching 20 minutes of the first lesson from this planning. I'm unsure in how much detail I should prepare for this, for instance if I wanted to use differentiated word problems, should I provide them, even if they're only for lesson 4? What about activities like Bingo or loop cards, should I include them all with my planning? This is going to take a long time! Any advice gratefully received.....

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What a huge undertaking for an interview, especially if you haven't taught much before!
    However, you'll need your lesson outcomes, potential final assessment activity, differentiated worksheets/ activities etc.
    Personally I wouldn't provide a whole worksheet just one example of questions for each (differentiated) sheet & say something like use 'loop card activity as starter' etc.

3. thanks Lara, yes it's quite a lot of work obviously, and particularly difficult without knowing where the class is, and which methods for calculations they know etc. I think you're right and I will just provide basic ideas and samples of activities. I wish I could just plan for one lesson, which is much more normal for an interview though!

4. Lara mfl 05

Forgot,but I'm sure you would do this anyway-plan in detail for the 'part' you actually deliver on the day.

5. I assume that it is for primary? If so, you'll need to look at the Numeracy Framework for primary whether KS 1 or 2 and plan from there. I would keep the topic(s) you are going to deliver within your strengths, if not specified by the school. Just look at how you can develop the 4 or 5 lessons for progression, focus on what needs to be achieved by all pupils and you would also have to make sure you have 3 levels covered at least, for example if lesson is aimed at level 3a, then have easier questions at level 3c say and harder ones too at level 4b/c. Target the levels to be achieved in the first lesson or so, to see where they actually are in their numeracy.
    Using differentiated worded problems could cause you problems if you do not know their literacy levels, trust me on this. If I were you, I would keep the lesson sequence on what kids easily recognise and are enthusiastic about - numbers. You could do shapes but this could also be affected by their literacy ability, names of shapes, terminology of parts of the shape, etc. I can't tell you what to do, it is up to you but do keep related escape plans close (open ended activities) - you could use these if you find the lesson is not right.
    Remember to keep everything you do bright and cheerful. Good luck.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I suppose the amount of time and effort you are prepared to put in will be dependent on how much you want the post.

If It was me, I would be pulling out all the stops and writing a fabulous full on lesson plan for all five lessons and provide accompanying differentiated resources as well. An overview of the week at the front then each lesson with resources in 5 plastic wallets. All held together in a fabulous folder.

Yes it might be a lot of work for nothing, but there is no way on earth you are going to get a post in this climate with a half hearted 'it was too much work so I only gave you a vague idea of what I'd do' kind of set of plans.

If you are feeling like you resent the amount of work then consider carefully if this is the school for you. If they ask this from interview candidates, think what they ask from their staff.

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

That's exactly what I would do minnieminx but that said it is a huge task and isn't anyone else havign the unpleasant feeling they might just keep the planning!? Make sure you get it back before you leave!

8. Lara mfl 05

Suspicious person that I am, that occurred to me too, which is why I suggested just giving examples at the initial stage.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So what if they do keep it? It is only a week's worth?

10. anon8315

When I got my first promotion and my mainscale teaching post was advertised, candidates were asked to plan a sequence of lessons like this and the HOD kept them. I suppose it doesn't matter in one sense but to be honest it would matter to me - it would say, effectively to me "your planning is good enough but you aren't." Most schools are just fine where interviews are concerned but some aren't. I have had a couple of "stich ups" and the sting takes a while to go away especially if you NEED a job.
    However it may be it doesn't bother individuals and that's obviously fine, but it would bother me I'm afraid.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which could well be true for some candidates. It is true for one or two members of staff at my school who are on capability proceedings at the moment. They have fabulous plans, but teaching isn't good enough.

It would irritate me a little, but I'd certainly not jeopardise my chances of getting a post by not bothering in case they kept the plans/resources.

12. anon8315

Is it a behaviour management issue minnie or just delivery? I'm just asking out of interest really.
    Definitely agree with this! x

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Both, and a zillion other things. Just happens that planning is fab.

14. Now now, careful not to hijack the thread ladies...........[​IMG]

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Fair enough...just sort of saying that having a fab plan will not necessarily you get the job, but not having one will mean you don't.

A 'can't be bothered to make everything, it is too much work and anyway they might nick it' general demeanour will also mean you don't get the post.

16. I am busy planning and will do my best as I'm of course keen to get the job, otherwise I wouldn't have applied! I'm not bothered about them maybe keeping it - I was just wondering how much detail they expected really. So thanks MM and others for advice!