1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed re NQT year

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by maerlyn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. We have an NQT working in our school. we are a new (independent) special school, and as yet have a very (VERY) small number of pupils on roll. we have consulted the local authority about support with this, but unfortunately, as I suspected, they have an issue as to the small number of pupils being a barrier to her completing her year. She has been working for us now almost a full school year, and we are no further forward with this than we were last february when she joined us.
    Will the fact that she has worked for a year already without completing her NQT year affect her future chances of completing it? And can anyone give me any ideas as to how I can help her? (other than suggesting she goes to a bigger school!)
    cheers

2. I honestly can't see the small numbers of pupils being an issue; but I have a funny feeling in my waters that working in independent schools doesn't count for working to pass the NQT year.
    My advice would be for your NQT to a) contact her union for advice and b) double check with your Local Authority.

3. I suggest you talk again to the LEA. I completed my NQT year in a special school with just 6 children per class. It is possible to meet all the standards in a special school, as you still have to plan, assess, manage staff and differentiate. So you CAN complete your NQT year in a special school with small class sizes.

If they won't budge, suggest a compromise. See if you can get a mainstream school to 'swap' their NQT for a few weeks for yours. They both get additional experience and mean the LEA can approve the NQT.

Hope that helps,

4. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I like a lot the idea of an NQT 'swap'. Will certainly give that some thought.

Ta,
    M