1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed re: new lesson plan pro-forma

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by MrsPeel, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've been asked to come up with a new lesson plan pro-forma and have lots of ideas but I'd like some advice re: what has/hasn't worked for you in your schools.
    Many thanks!

2. I - what - hey! - who the flip - how?????????????/

OH!.....................
    I see
    No space between the Mrs and the Peel.

Phew
    thought I was losing my marbles there!
    Emma

3. Hi MrsPeel,
    What work's - creating the Lesson Plan proforma in consultation with the teachers who will be using them.
    I also recommend Mike Hughes' book '... and the main thing is Learning' it has some very interesting advice about lesson planning that focuses on planning for learning etc.
    We have developed a Learning Cycle approach to lesson planning that many schools have adapted from the TEEP model that we find useful. This will obviously need training on delivering and planning for the relevant parts of the cycle.

4. Thanks karma drama- I have been talking to colleagues regarding what they find useful and I'm a TEEP trainer so had considered working that in- glad to hear it works for you.
    Mrs Peel- yikes! Thought I was being so original too (sigh), I'm sure people will be able to tell us apart but apologies for the unintentional cyber-theft of your identity!

5. Why do you want one? This is micro management. Good leaders focus on the big picture.
    1. A previous headteacher I worked for did a mock bonfire of the contents of the 'planning' filing cabinet when she took over appointment at a school to which I had also been appointed. She accompanied the 'drama' with the statement: "All this planning is not making you into good teachers." (She was very right. She was later judged an outstanding leader by Ofsted.
    2. When the new primary framework came into being, I attended an LEA inset where a number of alternative standard planning formats for Maths were considered. One was excellent, but entirely inappropriate for Literacy and other subjects.
    3. I understand the following to be part of an agreed position on planning, endorsed by Warwickshire LEA (one to follow, I think):
    a: the function of preparation is to facilitate the teacher's fluent delivery ... not to provide evidence for scrutiny.
    b: teachers at different stages in their career will require different levels of visible preparation
    c: schools in 'difficulty' might require breater emphasis on visible preparation
    d: if a lesson is good, then the preparation self-evidently must have been good ... we would not then need to see evidence of that preparation
    e: there is an abundance of good lesson plans and preparation materials available online, which only need adapting and suitably annotation (Fact: copy and pasting and neat typed annotations are merely a waste of time. A practice which perhaps continues because teachers are attempting to misrepresent work as entirely their own, when it need not be.) (Joint Ofsted, DfES, QCA
    And here's part of a union guidance:
    ...Plans are working documents and do not need to be beautifully presented or copied out for others.
    ...They can be set out in the form of bullet points or notes, including how learning objectives will be achieved. This is a matter of professional judgement.
    ...Despite Ofsted's own conclusions about excessive planning ...

6. (Continuation of post, hit the send button by mistake.):
    Joint OFSTED, qca, DfES

7. guidance says that headteachers should encourage teachers to use and adopt existing plans.
    And finally,
    I understand Michael Gove has voiced a view that supports teachers against excessive recording of planning (the most time consuming part!)
    Lots of planning can be 'achieved' with a highlighter pen using photocopied pages of the national curriculum. This meets the most important aspect of planning: ensuring the legal requirement for curriculum coverage. (An area where there is often oversight despite copious perfectly presented planning docs.)
    Ofsted's focus is on what has been learnt, not on what has been taught.

Be brave - look at the big picture.