1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed re. lesson observation

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT teaching Year 1 in a maternity cover post, so only started at Easter. I have my first observation next week. It's going to be Numeracy and we are doing shape. The problem is I'm not quite sure how to approach it because they have done some work on 2D shape before and briefly touched on 3D with the teacher they had before. The main focus next week is going to be 3d and the lesson being observed is the first of the week and I'm not quite sure how to introduce it because I have the top set so I don't want to make it too easy or boring for them but having not taught them anything on shape myself before I don't know how to approach it - should I do a quick recap of 2d shapes and then straight onto 3d as the main focus?
    K x

2. Thanks for the reply. Think I will aim to briefly re-cap 2d and then move on to 3d shapes. Drawing a blank on good ideas for activities at the mo - probably nerves! The problem I often have is finding good independent activities. I have four groups and two adults so usually two groups are teacher or ta led but then In struggle to think of engaging independent activities for the others.
    K x

3. Hi,
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been thinking about it and almost feel like I have too many ideas now - could do with hearing wat some people think. At the moment I am thinking I will do quite a quick recap of 2D shapes (perhaps using a feely bag) so I can check their understanding before moving on to 3D. I have quite a few ideas for group activities but obviously can't do everything in that first lesson of the week so can do some of them later in the week but need to settle on a really good plan for my observation lesson and I would appreciate peoples opinions. I have 4 groups and two adults in the room so can have two teacher led / supported activities. These are my ideas so far:
    Children look around the room for 3D shapes
    Continuation of the feely bag type activity but with 3d shapes in a group
    For the groups who work independently I thought about making 3D shapes in some way so they can actually feel them in their hands - either junk modelling, play dough, construction kits - not sure really. Quite keen to do junk modelling because we are doing a topic on recycling at the moment and there is a big push on being cross curricular teaching and learning at my school at the moment. Sounds silly but never done junk modelling, anyone done it - do you literally provide children with lots of packets, boxes etc and tape and ask them to use them create something?
    Sorting shapes according to their properties using hoops
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated, would really like to settle on a plan so I don't feel so nervous! Thanks in advance,
    K x