1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - pregnancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by amygreen21, Jan 5, 2016.

1. amygreen21

amygreen21 New commenter

Hi all, just wanted to check if anyone knows of advice on how long into your pregnancy you can drive students in a minibus? I'm currently 23 weeks and want to organise an offsite trip for 6 students in 5 weeks time. Many thanks in advance!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I can't (yet) find any guidance on the matter.

I suggest that you don't drive. You should ask your co-driver to take the wheel. If it's a long journey that would require driver changes I respectfully suggest that you abandon the idea. You might easily not feel up to it.

So - go ahead if you won't be driving. You'll supervise.

If I were your HoD or HT I think I'd gently encourage you to ditch the idea or to proceed only if you take very much a 'back seat'.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Has the school or college done a risk assessment on you?

If driving students is part of your duties, then it should be included as part of the risk assessment. Is the seatbelt in either the driver's or passenger's side suitable for a 28 week pregnant woman of your stature? (If you are tiny or Amazonian it will make a difference).

Among a large number of other factors that they should be considering for the R.A.

Forgot to say the most important thing: Congratulations! Or possibly Congratulations!

[​IMG]

Best wishes to you and your partner

4. amygreen21

amygreen21 New commenter

Thank you - yes risk assessment has been done. It's not part of my every day duties. I will speak to my HOD this week to check - it's a nice trip so don't think it'll be too hard to find another member of staff to come along :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)