1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rskotecha, May 22, 2016.

  1. rskotecha

    rskotecha New commenter


    I am currently employed as an unqualified teacher and my school aimed to have me on a school direct (salaried) course from September 2016, however, only in my School direct interview was I told that the course won't come with a PGCE.

    I want to have the option of teaching abroad in the future (as I still have over 40 years of working life ahead of me).

    I have been told that the School direct (non salaried) has a PGCE, and otherwise I can apply for a PGCE as an Individual.

    The requirements of different countries on acceptable training routes is very vague and confusing, I have spent hours trying to clarify things.

    What should I do?

    A. Would you recommend the PGCE over a QTS only route if I want to potentially go abroad one day.

    B. Should I ask my school to put me on the school direct (non salaried) route, and pay my own £9000 tuition fees for a PGCE. Failing which I will leave the school and apply as an Individual.

    C. Is there any difference between the school direct PGCE and the individual PGCE? Especially when it comed to wanting to go abroad.

    I am a 2015 Physics graduate with a 2.2 (based in Bedfordshire in case anyone wants to approach me with a role!)

    Any replies will be really appreciated. Thank you in advance
  2. Findlotte

    Findlotte Established commenter

    They're offering you QTS-only because it's cheaper for them and they expect you to stay in the school for your NQT year too (Guaranteed teacher for 2 more years).

    You can apply for PGCE top-up courses in the future if you want to achieve PGCE. This is one I've just quickly found:

    I don't think there's a difference between SD and other PGCE institutions. Have a look at the comparison table on UCAS:

    If you're teaching science, you won't struggle to find a position ;)
  3. rskotecha

    rskotecha New commenter

    Hi, thanks for this and thanks for the reply. I hope that more people also reply as I am desperate for help.

    The main things for me is that I don't want to lose out on any teach abroad options for the long working life ahead of me. It's interesting you found a post PGCE, as the Uni that my provider works with said there is no way to convert to PGCE in the future.

    I wonder also if there is any difference between the school direct PGCE and the individual PGCE?
  4. hammie

    hammie Lead commenter

    the fact that your training route and "qualification" might not be recognised should also make you think about how good the training will be compared to other avenues available.
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    If you want to teach abroad you need to PGCE to be confident of being accepted as a teacher in as many countries as possible. It's confusing because different countries have different rules but the key fact is that many countries demand that teachers have a university based qualification in teaching.
    wanet likes this.

Share This Page