1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lthughes, Sep 26, 2015.

1. lthughes

lthughes New commenter

Hi :)

I am currently teaching in Bangkok having previously worked in the UAE for 3 years. I am now thinking of moving elsewhere, closer to home.
    I would love France or Italy but I have read about the salaries and working conditions!!! Has anyone got any positive experiences from here?

My other thoughts are on Norway or Prague so would really love to hear experiences of people livng and working there.
    Thank you in advance I really appreciate it!

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Italy and France are very popular for obvious reasons. State school teachers in these countries don't have high salaries so international schools don't tend to pay well either. In some cases, there is no pay over the summer and you may have to go home to earn some money. Plus, you will have to pay tax and there is no subsidised accommodation. If you have savings and you really want to experience the lifestyle then go for it but you won't be able to save. Message me if you'd like to know more but my experience of the financial side isn't positive.

3. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I agree with above about the pay and conditions. You might be able to claim unemployment in those countries because you would actually be unemployed. But from what I've heard it's far more difficult to claim than it is in UK. But no surprise there.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I was teaching in Bucharest, the school provided Mrs Hippopotamus and me with an okay flat, not far from Parcul Herastrau. Our naughty little doggie enjoyed the park and barking at Romanian dogs.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Perhaps you should also consider Germany, Ithughes. Quite a number of international teachers in that country have returned, as you are thinking of doing, from further afield: they enjoy decent salaries, good schools and all the amenities of civilised life at the highest level.

6. priyapankhania

priyapankhania New commenter

Just saw this post and am interested to know about your experiences in these countries, as that's where I was originally looking to apply too...

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. I would look further afield, priyapankhania. Schools in Europe do not pay well and do not provide accommodation. On the other hand, a colleague of mine loved the Netherlands. Great beer and loads of culture.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If you are looking at Europe then look for the countries that are not in the Euro. the packages and benefits in these countries can be better than the "traditional" western european countries.

9. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

It's swings and roundabouts. You won't get paid as well working in Venice as you will working in Kazakhstan for the obvious reason of supply and demand. Lots of people want to work in the beautiful, free and Westernised European countries and especially settle there with children long-term. Therefore, they don't have to pay you as much. However, no one is going to work in Doha for European wages and no included living accomodation.

There are generally two paths you can go by in international teaching, money or lifestyle. I'm in a beautiful part of Southern Europe at the moment. While I may not stay in this specific country, I wouldn't move far because I've been spoiled by the lifestyle.