1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by becky313, Jun 17, 2015.

1. I find myself for the third year running (due to 1 year contracts) on the job hunt for September. In the last few weeks I have had several interviews. I have been told I have come second (with the person who got the job being chosen due to more experience) a couple of times.

This week I had four interviews lined up. I have attended 3 of them and have another on Friday. I'm really struggling at the moment and the rollercoaster of emotions is really hard to deal with. I found out I was unsuccessful at Job A yesterday evening and had to straight away start preparing for Job B and C which were today. I have heard from both schools within the last 2 hours - both unsuccessful (it was very close/very high standard etc).

I am now feeling really down about the whole situation and don't know how to proceed. When I have had feedback from schools I have tried my best to apply it to the next interview and have subsequently been told something completely different in feedback from the next school. The feedback I had from an interview last week was that the Head Teacher was really sorry she couldn't appoint me. She actually said I did everything correct and my lesson was really good and the answers at the interview were spot on and there was nothing constructive she could say because there was nothing I could improve! It's just so frustrating and demoralising, and to then have to pick yourself up for the next day of interviews is really stressful.

If anyone has been through similar situations or has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading my rant. :)

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My advice is stop listening to feedback now!

You are obviously doing well by the comments you have heard. Just grit your teeth and hang on there. Every job you go to and don't get, that is one competitor LESS for the next one!

You will find a job that is for you, when you "click" with the committee and get the job.

You are nearly there now . . . just keep believing in yourself.

Rather than believing in all the feedback.

[​IMG]

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Theo is right. In many cases when I was a head, it came down in the end to 'liking' candidate A better than candidate B and nothing I could have said to candidate B would be remotely useful at the next interview.

Sometimes it's like buying apples. I like Egremont Russets and I like Braeburns - but I like Egremont Russets better (unless they turn out to be woolly).

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

was going to say exactly the same thing before I read Theo's.

5. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

Well done for your success so far - your applications must be amazing! I know you will get one very soon. I'm in a similar position, and my energy is all but gone - just keep telling myself that I will find the right job in the right school and I will be the right person. Best wishes x

6. I feel your pain-and I have had fewer disappointments than you, but I am a great believer in the idea that the right job for you is the one that you eventually get. I had a vile experience when I flew back to the UK recently and now have a chance of a job at an infinitely better school-I may not get it, but I couldn't even have applied had I been offered the other one. I can also console myself with the fact that I would not have wanted to work with the people at the first school after their un-professional treatment-but you can console yourself with the really positive feedback you are getting. Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow-and remember-you're not alone!