1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Governors' started by anon2145, May 4, 2012.

1. I am a school governor.
    To cut a long story short, a parent in our village has been writing a blog for the last 2 years about beinga single mum. No-one knew until it was mentioned last night in our local paper with her name and a picture of her and her family. It is apparently going to be taken up by a national red-top.
    So last night I had a read of it - the website was printed in the paper for all to see - and in it she has reproduced a very vitriolic letter that she wrote to the Head last summer regarding a grievance that she had with her daughter's teacher. Children's names have been changed but the Head's and the teacher's name (which is quite distinctive) are the same. The school name is not mentioned and neither is the name of the village.
    She has basically hauled this, very good in my opinion senior teacher over the coals, and some ofthe comments that her blog has received in sympathy are quite harsh - one reader has suggested that this teacher need a "good hard slap".
    Regardless of the action that may or may not have been taken by the Head following her complaint - the incident happened last summer and her daughter is no longer at this school - my concern is that a lot of people, like me, will now be reading this blog, and know all about this incident with this teacher. So my question is - should I bring it to the Head's/COG's attention?

2. I am a school governor.
    To cut a long story short, a parent in our village has been writing a blog for the last 2 years about beinga single mum. No-one knew until it was mentioned last night in our local paper with her name and a picture of her and her family. It is apparently going to be taken up by a national red-top.
    So last night I had a read of it - the website was printed in the paper for all to see - and in it she has reproduced a very vitriolic letter that she wrote to the Head last summer regarding a grievance that she had with her daughter's teacher. Children's names have been changed but the Head's and the teacher's name (which is quite distinctive) are the same. The school name is not mentioned and neither is the name of the village.
    She has basically hauled this, very good in my opinion senior teacher over the coals, and some ofthe comments that her blog has received in sympathy are quite harsh - one reader has suggested that this teacher need a "good hard slap".
    Regardless of the action that may or may not have been taken by the Head following her complaint - the incident happened last summer and her daughter is no longer at this school - my concern is that a lot of people, like me, will now be reading this blog, and know all about this incident with this teacher. So my question is - should I bring it to the Head's/COG's attention?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Yes. Why wouldn't you?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

It's published and linked to in your local paper so you can mention it to whoever you like - heads and COGs are always interested in anything about their school in the local paper whether identifed or not. Quite likely they already know. But is there anything you think they could or should do about it, a blog by an ex-parent whose children are longer at the school?

5. staxis

staxis New commenter

You need to make the Head and CoG aware of this, in case they haven't seen it. Regarding any action, that depends on the content of the blog and newspaper article. It may well be the talk of town for a day or two and then blow over.