1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Music' started by njm102, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Do other small departments like Drama, Geography etc have subject leaders? If so, how much do they get paid?

If you have a really good union rep at your school, who isn't a gossip, I would get a bit of advice as to what you can do. Things like the instrumental lessons are definitely not your responsibility - it is an admin task.

Maybe you should put together a load of evidence, explaining the impact you have had on the department and present it to your SLT. If you can provide evidence, then it's a great deal more difficult to argue with. Year 8's just arriving...better go!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Go somewhere else where you'll be appreciated and properly supported and rewarded.

3. Agreed! Even if you just start applying for other jobs you can sometimes be amazed at what your directors will start agreeing to as they're unlikely to get someone else who will do what is a HoD job for no pay.
    However if you can't do that, are the pupils listened to in your school? I often find that if I say something to the head or SLT it's ignored, so I now get the pupils to pester instead, it's worked very well especially with regards to budget and space etc.
    Definitely find out what other small departments are on in terms of TLR as it does make it easier to ask for the same. Our school has a published TLR structure but we're still LEA and I'm not sure the difference an academy makes. Probably quite a bit from what I read on here.