1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by brfcsc, May 5, 2011.

1. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi everyone. A job has come up which is ideal for me- location, subject responsibility, links with my local church etc

The job is for smt and I have no experience for this. I have been teaching for 3 years in a first school. Is it worth me applying or will I have no chance?

2. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi everyone. A job has come up which is ideal for me- location, subject responsibility, links with my local church etc

The job is for smt and I have no experience for this. I have been teaching for 3 years in a first school. Is it worth me applying or will I have no chance?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It depends on what you've done over the last 3 years and what the role is.

4. If it's an SLT job then there must be a personal spec to look at. If you can say yes to almost everything on the essential, and some of the desirable, then why not have a go!? If your three years so far have been productive and rich in experiences, then you lose nothing by applying. I know of some DHTs that have been appointed with 3 years experience, so anything is possible!

5. As above. Time isn't the important factor. It is how much experience you have gained and what knowledge you possess.
    You may have only been teaching three years but you might have undertaken key leadership and management responsibilities which make you eligble. I know of teachers who have been teaching twenty years, but it has been in the same school and same year group, so I would say they have somewhat little experience. Does this make sense?