1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please - PSHE

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by sallynewland, Nov 24, 2011.

1. great idea..I am a citizenship/Health and social care teacher who used to work in Youth Offending and would love the idea of being freelance especially as schools are cutting back on PSHE/Cit
    Our school has used external providers for sex education (specifically STIs and teen pregnancy) peer mentoring and .Youth crime sessions...however at present a lot of schools are cutting down on PSHE Citizenship budgets we only teach one lesson a fortnight in KS3 now...so there may not be a lot of money there
    Maybe try the new academy schools who will be more used to buying in services
    Good luck

2. Hi. I am in a similar position to you. I worked in School Nursing for a few years, but a year ago I set up my own Health Promotion business. I market myself to private and mainstream schools, but seem to have had more luck with the mainstream schools (I think a lot of the private schools have their own School Nurses who do the PSHE themselves). Puberty is a very popular area as teachers seem to hate teaching this themselves.
    Where in the country are you based? I would be interested to hear how you get on, and how you set your prices. It seems that some schools have money and others just don't.
    Good luck,
    Jos

3. Hi, I did this in April having taken redundancy as a Road Safety Officer with some success. Schools do seem to vary in their funding although if the subject (in my case road safety) is seen as an important issue then schools will take it up. Be prepared for a long haul as it will take time to establish. You may want to view my web-site, www.buzzroadsafetyed.com and contact me via that if you need any more advice.
    All the best