1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please help

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dict, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience! I haven't had this many problems in my NQT year, but there are definitely a few teachers who do their best to either put you down, or bully you into doing what they want at my school. I really haven't enjoyed the past term and a half (I too have some challenging KS4 bottom sets), and have bagged myself a new job for September at a lovely school.
    I don't really know what to suggest, other than keep your head high - do you have a mentor you could speak to for help?
    Good luck x

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You need to find an ally and keep a file of evidence, especially for standards that are hard to proove (relationships, taking on board feedback etc...) I'd even suggest keeping a diary with events and your action to help with this (seems hard work but I wish I'd done it)
    It is a catch 22, some make it and some don't, I'd love to give you advice to tell you how to get through but persoanlly I'd just work hard and hunt for your next position which hopefully should be far more suited to you x

3. Thank <u>you so much</u> for both replies. It really just helps to know somewhere some fellow professionals are supportive. REALLY appreciated.

4. Sorry to hear you are going through a similar situation to my son, it is a disgrace that HT's can put so much pressure on you and others in the NQT year.
    Yes we want good teachers in our schools but this is not the way to go about it!
    I wish you well.

5. You poor chap!
    It si sometimes just the case that this is the wrong school for you.
    However, what you can do is a quiet word with the NQT contact person at County level. Their contact details should be on the website. They can discretely come and check what is going on. Might also be worth having a chat with your Union. Offload as much as you can here as a sanity saver.
    Another point to consider is if there is anyone in your Maths Dept who would support you - even if it is only to get out - in terms of references. There must be someone there who can give you guidance on how to handle this Head.
    Hell's bells, if experienced teachers are nicking your stuff you have got to be doing something right. But do make it on a quid pro quo basis - you give them something - they give something in return.
    The very best of luck and take care of yourself.

6. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. The HT's behaviour is odd. Do you have a mentor? What are they like? You mention the school advertising another position - are trying to put 2 and 2 together?