1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please - Deputy headteacher career move to primary education lecturer.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EllieP19, Nov 3, 2015.

1. EllieP19

EllieP19 New commenter

Hello,

I am currently a deputy headteacher working full time but am interested in applying for a part time primary education lecturer position at my local university.

Is there anyone who has had a similar career change and can advise me on the positives and negatives? Or any university lecturers that can give me some advice really.

I want to work part time so I can spend more time with my children and family and really feel teaching is becoming unmanageable. I feel the changes to education and added responsibilities are making me resentful and frustrated, however the teaching part I still really love.

Lecturing is something I've thought about over the last year and a part time position has recently been advertised at my local university so I'm in a quandary really whether To apply. It's a lecturer position on the initial teacher training course so I would still be working within education and be able to use my experience within the field.

The pay is obviously a little less but to be honest this isn't the deciding factor, I want to get a better quality of life for my family and wonder whether lecturing would give me this?

Thank you for any comments.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been a lecturer in a Department of Education in a University, teaching B.Ed and postgraduate.

But so long ago that my experience of the work-life balance is irrelevant to modern-day situations.

I can give you this article to read, which may or may not be helpful! But do ensure that you meet their criteria before applying.

Becoming a Teacher Educator in a University

Best wishes

3. EllieP19

EllieP19 New commenter

Thank you for this, it is very helpful. I have completed a grad dip and my NPQH but don't think headship is for me any longer. I have read the JD and person spec this evening and think I will apply and see how it goes.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then come over to Jobseekers and ask about the applications advice!

Best wishes

elainepugh likes this.
  5. EllieP19

EllieP19 New commenter

Great thank you