1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on purchase of violins

Discussion in 'Music' started by sooze98, Jun 23, 2012.

1. sooze98

sooze98 New commenter

Hi there!
    I'm looking to purchase some violins to replace some of our old school stock. Can anyone recommend the make and model that I should buy? They will be for beginners, so should be reasonably priced and hard wearing whilst producing a decent sound at the same time.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance!
    Sooze

2. sooze98

sooze98 New commenter

Hi there!
    I'm looking to purchase some violins to replace some of our old school stock. Can anyone recommend the make and model that I should buy? They will be for beginners, so should be reasonably priced and hard wearing whilst producing a decent sound at the same time.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance!
    Sooze

3. crusell

crusell New commenter

stentor are pretty ok. If you put a decent set of strings on anything it makes a massive difference.e.g. dominant
    though a set will be around 30-40 quid
    http://www.violinstringsonline.co.uk/Dominant-violin-strings?gclid=CPu5ioDL5LACFcohfAodCHByzQ
    It's worth it in the long run, because they don't break like cheap strings.

4. We bought in some 3 months ago from gear4music. They were really quite cheap in price but our students are making a brilliant sound with them and the violin teacher was very impressed with them. Worth a look!